The Classy Girl’s Guide to Impressing His Parents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

You’ve met this amazing guy at school and he’s everything you could ask for: He’s passionate about his major, he’s great company when he goes out with you and your friends, he trusts you when you go to fraternity parties—oh , and he’s a gentleman.

While you may think reeling in such a catch is the hardest part, wait until you have to meet the ‘rents. Oy vey, some of you are probably letting your anxieties get the best of you. What should I wear to dinner? What should I say to them when I first step through their front door? And are flowers appropriate to bring? The list is endless.

So what are you going to do? Well for starters, definitely make sure that you are dressed to impress because the cliché saying is true: First impressions are everything. But, ladies, don’t freak out. Stay calm and follow these simple style rules, and you will impress them.

Rule #1: Stay Classy

Save baring your skin for the beau, not his parents. Stick to a skirt or dress that  is no more than three inches above your knees, or do what I like to call the “bend over” test. Bend over in your skirt or dress (as far as 90 degrees, if you can). If your underwear is peaking through, or your entire derrière is on display for the world to see, do not wear it. As for the chest area, just ask yourself if  your mother would let you walk outside the house showing that much skin? The following are prime examples of what you should wear to meet his parents:

Photo Credit: www.pinterest.com

Photo Credit: www.pinterest.com

Photo Credit: www.pinterest.com

Rule #2: Don’t Make it a Runway Show

If you get a little too inspired by those runway-like makeup tutorials on YouTube, I would choose another day to experiment. However, a little pop of lipstick color and mascara never hurt anyone. The key is to stay as true to your natural look as possible. Besides, I believe every girl has a natural beauty, so why not flaunt it? Here are three appropriate and fresh makeup looks you can wear with confidence:

Photo Credit: www.pinterest.com

Photo Credit: www.stars-without-makeup.com

Photo Credit: www.pinterest.com

Rule #3: Consider the Location of the Rendezvous

Ladies, I cannot stress this enough: Location, location, location. The location will you give you the best sense of what attire is appropriate to wear. If you are invited to a family BBQ or to a casual restaurant, I would recommend getting a little more dressed up than you normally would for the occasion. You are their son’s girlfriend, and they have never met you before. This gives you more of a reason to stand out. As for fancier affairs, remember to keep it extra classy, but make sure you can walk in your stilettos (refer to rule #1). Check out these style approved looks:

BBQ

Photo Credit: www.pinterest.com

Casual Dinner

Photo Credit: www.pinterest.com

Sunday Brunch

Photo credit: www.lolobu.com

Rule #4: Be Yourself

This is the most important rule. While you are trying to work your magic with his parents, don’t lose sight of who are. After all, you want them to like you, right? Exactly. Stay true to yourself! Make sure you add a bit of your unique twist to your classy, feminine and eye-catching outfit. No pictures are needed for this rule!

Once you have followed these four essential rules, your killer style, charm and grace are sure to win the family over. Stay classy, my friends!

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.