This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

With finals looming and workloads never ending, many students find it especially hard to get in the holiday spirit at the end of the semester.

Though most people consider the start of the Christmas season right after Thanksgiving, that’s the time that work is just starting to pile up for college students. But there are still ways to keep up your holiday cheer, even through all those coffee-filled, dreary all-nighters McKeldin.

Many students bring a little part of Christmas into college life at the end of the semester through the “little things,” like traditions from home.

“We baked Christmas goodies! Sugar cookies with peppermint kisses in the middle and decorated gingerbread cookies,” sophomore Nicole Cors said of how she got into the holiday spirit at school.
            Listening to Christmas music while studying is also a popular holiday remedy to the finals blues.

“I absolutely love listening to Christmas music while I study. I started listening to it in September. It just gets me into the holiday spirit,” said sophomore business major Kiki Oosterwijk.

Another way that many students celebrate the holidays while still on campus is decorating their dorms or houses. Many campus residents simply string up a line of Christmas lights to brighten their dorm rooms. Most of the university’s Greek houses have Christmas trees and Menorahs during the holiday season for chapter members to enjoy as well.

Though the university doesn’t do much to decorate campus, if you’re craving a little holiday spirit, most of the restaurants and business on Route 1 are done up in holiday décor, such as Potbelly’s and the University Book Exchange.
            If you’re feeling particularly adventurous, Washington D.C. and Georgetown are great holiday destinations for students that are only a short metro ride away.

“My friend and I decided to go to Georgetown for the day to get a break from finals and go Christmas shopping. It was so nice to walk around and see all of the shops decorated and Christmas lights all along the streets!” said sophomore computer science major Ashley Krogel.

Whether it’s holiday shopping, picking up some Christmas cupcakes, or just seeing the holiday decorations, visiting the city is a great way to get away from school for a day in December.

So if you’re finding yourself bogged down with finals and term papers at the end of the semester, try pulling out a Michael Buble Christmas CD and string up some lights to amp up your holiday cheer!