This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Students were indifferent when the Radio Shack in the College Park Shopping Center closed back in the spring. They waited in anticipation for an announcement for what could possibly be replacing the empty storefront right next to campus. Around that same time Five Guys on Route 1 also closed, and there, a piece of paper was posted outside the building.

It read, “Cava, coming soon  Summer 2018,” with a QR code.

Summer came and gone and Cava still had not opened, and the location changed. Now after much outside construction and anticipation outside the once Radio Shack, Cava is opening Friday, November 30 at 11 a.m.,  and the first 150 people will get their meal for free.

The Mediterranean line-style dining location has spiked a large following in the DMV area. First launching in Rockville, Maryland, Cava has been opening more locations around the area and expanding to other states like California, Texas, and New York.

(The Diamondback)

Out-of-staters have been confused about the hype, but in-state students are thrilled.

Senior government and politics major Emily McGowan has been a fan of Cava since her junior year of high school. Living in the Kentlands in Montgomery County, McGowan was one of the first people to experience Cava.

“It is delicious food it is relatively inexpensive and relatively healthy for as far as fast food goes, McGowan said. “It is not McDonald’s or something that isn’t really greasy so I actually feel good about eating it.”

Being a fan since 2014, she has mixed emotions with it becoming more of a national chain.

“I always thought it was something unique to my area and town,” McGowan said. “I am happy for there success, but I feel like I was here first and now everyone is just hopping on the bandwagon.”

Pamela Kekst, a senior psychology major, another big fan of the Mediterranean restaurant said how College Park needs a place like it.    

“Here are the great things about Cava; great vegetarian options, warm foods, which is something I am very passionate about, and the pita chips,” Kekst said.

Casey Smith, a sophomore mathematics and education double major is in love with Cava and is so happy to no longer have to drive all the way to Silver Spring so she can enjoy the food.

“If I could go swimming in a bowl of Cava, I would.”

Out-of-state students are finally happy to try the famous dishes everyone has been hyping up, Danielle Lorenz is one of them.

“I did not know about Cava before I came here, it did not exist in the Jersey area, but its something new, which is nice,” Lorenz said.

Junior Jordan Metzman, a marketing major, has been an intern for Cava for five semesters and has now become the College Park Campus Connoisseur. She’s been helping get the word out about the new location, having weekly giveaways on her Instagram and more.  

(Instagram.com/Jordanmetzman)

Metzman shared how she thought Cava would be a good addition to the university’s local eats.

“There will so much more spirit in the store and I think they will really own being apart of the Terps,” Metzman said. “Some restaurants open just to sell food, but Cava is here to become a part of the family.”

Hannah Dalsheim

Maryland '20

Junior at University of Maryland. Dog Obsessed.