This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Last month’s snow resulted in the final day of the Spring Career Fair being pushed back to Thursday, March 6. This allows all students that did not get the chance to go on the other days to finally meet with  various employers. The fair will take place at the Adele H.Stamp Student Union between the hours of 12 p.m. and 5 p.m.

Making an excellent first impression when meeting with potential employers is critical. The career center here at Maryland provides a number of resources that can greatly improve the job-hunting process.

One of the biggest mistakes potential employees make when tfirst meeting an employer or coming in for an interview is not knowing enough about the company. Doing research prior to a meeting is imperative.

The career center’s website has a list of all the employers that will be attending the fair. On the list it says precisely what types of positions the employer is looking to hire as well as what majors are being sought. Taking a look at this list as well as doing other research on the web prior the event is a must.

Resumes are  the most important things that need to be brought to the fair. Upon first meeting the employer they will likely ask you for a copy of your resume. Resumes are a quick and easy way for the employer to gauge whether you are a proper fit for their company.

Sprucing up your resume is another thing that the career center can help you with. Every weekday between the hours of 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. a Peer Career Educator (PCE) is available for walk-ins. All that is required is a hard copy of your resume and your student ID.  PCEs are specially trained students that are there to help your resume look its best and concisely portray your experiences.

Additionally, if you don’t have a resume the career center’s website has a tool called Resume Builder. It essentially creates an entire resume for you, all you have to do is answer the prompt questions by pulling from your own experiences. The tool also has a number of templates from which you can choose. Pick the one you like best, print it out and take it to a PCE.

Oddly enough, clothes play a much bigger role in the job-hunting process than you might think. Looking put together is crucial. In a number of cases, clothing is the deciding factor between two similar candidates.

If you’re not entirely sure what to wear to the career fair the center’s Pinterest page has a number of looks that are perfect for whatever the occasion may be.

The career fair offers many opportunities that you might not have been aware of before.  It is an awesome event to take advantage of, but remember to dress your best, be prepared, and put your best foot forward.