Campus Leaders: The Directors of Colleges Against Cancer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

As Thanksgiving comes and goes, something that should be on everyone’s minds is giving. In a fast-paced society in which competition fuels all, taking a step back from ourselves and giving to others is very important.

Three students here at UMD are making it a top priority to give to others on a daily basis. Junior government and politics major Emma Jablow, senior government and politics major Georgie Jones and senior agriculture and resources economics major Ben Zimmitti make it their job as the 2017-2018 co-directors of Colleges Against Cancer to give to others every day.

Colleges Against Cancer is the collegiate affiliate of the American Cancer Society. One of the main goals of the club is to host Relay For Life in the spring. CAC’s mission is to promote cancer awareness as well as fundraise for the ACS.

“I really find value in understanding why we do what we do. Especially when it comes to something like Relay where we are all volunteering our time,” said Zimmitti. “There has to be a reason why we are motivated to put in those extra hours on top of school work, internships, and part time jobs.”

Throughout the year, the club hosts different events to raise money for the big event in the spring. They also spend time with caregivers and survivors, learning their stories and helping them in any way they can.

“It is easy for one to feel helpless, and having a strong support system can make all the difference,” said Jones.

Most members of the club have some sort of personal attachment to the cause. The directors like to make sure all the members get a chance to see how the club is not only for fundraising. It also serves as a support group for people with cancer’s hardships in common.

“I relay for my mom, who passed away my freshman year of college, after battling lung cancer for two years,” said Jablow. “Since then, I have been involved with Relay for Life at UMD to honor her memory and raise money for cancer research so that one day no one ever has to lose anyone to cancer.” 

Colleges Against Cancer works every day to help raise money for cancer research as well as other things that can help people that are diagnosed with cancer. The club helps others so that one day no one will have to hear the words, “You have cancer.”