The Britney Spears Guide to Surviving Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Let us all go back to the year 2007:

Soulja Boy started a new dance craze.

iPhones were a new thing.

Miley Cyrus was still Miley Stewart.

And Britney Jean Spears lost her mind.

As a card-carrying member of Britney’s Army since ‘99, I will never forget the moment that I saw her sit in an L.A. hair salon and shave off her signature blonde locks.

Or when she attacked the paparazzi with an umbrella.

And let’s not forget her infamous VMA performance of  “Gimme More.”  

Britney Spears in 2007 has become a running joke for memes like this.

Eight years later, Britney is better than ever and her star power is still legendary. On her 34th Birthday, I would like to honor one of America’s greatest treasures. I think we can all take a lesson from the Holy Spearit.

1. “Stronger than yesterday, it’s nothing but my way”– Stronger

Since suffering a knee injury in 2004, Britney’s dance moves noticeably slowed down—leaving some wondering if she ever would be able to move the way she used to. It took awhile but her Vegas residency has seen Britney reborn. Watching her destroy her choreography is enough to remind you that even if you stumbled on the last exam, you can bounce back and still get an A!

2. “Trust in my instincts, trust that I know what’s right” – Let Me Be

Britney may be known for having amazing pop hits but she also has a vastly underrated collection of songs about independence. From her rendition of “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” or her song “Overprotected,” Brit has constantly made music about being free. Even when you feel like you’re struggling to figure out what you’re doing with your life, remember that you control your own destiny.

3. “French finger tips, red lips, b*cth is dangerous” – Lace and Leather

Britney is known to slay. Any given decade, the girl was always on trend. She can rock a cute sparkly mini dress or she can make the sweatpants look fabulous.  Whatever you wear doing Finals, make sure you feel your best. I’m a firm believer of dressing for success. So even if a custom made leotard is not your style, wear something that will give you the boost to knock out those last assignments before break!

4. “I’m Mrs. Lifestyles of the rich and famous, I’m Mrs. Oh my God that Britney’s shameless!”Piece of Me

True Britney fans know that she is one of the funniest people ever. Her guest appearances on “How I Met Your Mother,” “Glee, “and “Jane The Virgin” may give you a glimpse of Brit’s personality. Even some of her songs have some playful edges to it. If U Seek Amy anyone? Even when you feel like your life is in shambles from all the work, don’t forget to smile and laugh. Remember, the world will keep spinning, and being positive can make a huge difference.

5. “If you feel it, let it happen, keep on dancing till the world ends”Till the World Ends

It goes without saying that Britney will go down in history for being the queen of performances. I could do the Oops! choreography in my sleep. I  will be 80 years old still doing the “Slave 4 U” choreography. Don’t get me started on the “Baby One More Time” routine. Britney has always danced so seamlessly, and always looks like she’s having the time of her life. During finals week don’t forget to take time to do things that make you happy. Even if it means listening to playlist of your favorite songs (Britney better be on this list!), watching your favorite show or actually dancing!

So Happy Birthday to the American Dream (since she was 17)! Here is to another year of you slaying and reminding us why you will always be the Queen.

Brooke Giles

Maryland '18

Brooke is from Clinton, Maryland and is a senior at the University of Maryland, studying Broadcast Journalism. A self-proclamied Pop Music enthusiast, she loves everything about music especially when it involves Beyoncé and hopes to work in radio or for a record company.