A British Invasion: Why We’re So Obsessed with the Royal Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

During the Revolutionary War, Paul Revere warned Americans that the British were coming and almost 300 years later, it seems the British are here to stay.

In 2001, Kate Middleton and Prince William met while attending Scotland’s University of St. Andrews. Though their relationship started as a friendship, it blossomed into a romance one year later. Naysayers speculated the now Duchess of Cambridge was groomed by her parents to be a suitable match for the prince, but their relationship survived and Middleton proved fairytales are real.

On April 29th, 2011 fans of the royals around the world were glued to their televisions as Prince William married Catherine “Kate” Middleton in a lavish ceremony fit for a future king and queen. Though millions of adoring followers did not find invitations to the wedding in the mail, their unwavering support for the couple is a tell-tale sign that royal fever has hit America.

“I’m obsessed with the royal family because they are the perfect fairy tale. Will and Kate are truly the Cinderella of our generation,” sophomore dietetics major Jillian Mergruen said.

Indeed, the fairytale is considered one of the top reasons why Americans, who grew up on the stories of Disney princesses, are so fascinated with the royal family. According to Dr. Nicole Joseph’s “6 Reasons Why We’re Fascinated by the Royal Family,” some of the obsession stems from the fantasy that anyone can be the next Kate Middleton.

“Imagine being a relatively ordinary young woman ordinary young woman and going to college to complete your education. Along the way you fall in love with a prince, get swept off your feet, and marry, becoming a world-wide, beloved figure,” Dr. Joseph said. “The real –life romance behind the story is so compelling and different that we can’t help but watch and root for them.” 

While their courtship is one that is sure to be admired in years to come, it’s their new baby that has now taken center stage. After months of speculation about when the child would arrive, including a website entitled: www.hastheroyalbabybeenbornyet…, the United Kingdom welcomed Prince George Alexander Louis to the world on July 22, 2013. Though the infant is quite different than the other kids on the playground, he is proof that behind the hype of the royal family, Will and Kate are no different than any other new parents. As well-wishes from elite politicians around the world came pouring in, William and Kate departed London’s St. Mary’s hospital, in favor of her parent’s private Bucklebury home.

“I love the way they are raising him so far. They are really thinking of what is best for their family which I really respect,” Mergruen said.

Setting aside their royal status, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are shielding their son from the media frenzy and public curiosity that he will endure the rest of his life. Though the palace has not confirmed it, sources claim the couple do not plan to use a nanny and will be very hands-on with their new addition.

Sophomore communications major Megan Landau knows firsthand just how curious the public is about the royal baby.

“My mom was just in London and asked every single cab driver if they were excited about the royal baby,” Landau said.

Though they will one day emerge with their new addition, their decision to protect him is one that any non-royal parent can relate to.  Dr. Joseph cites the ability to relate to aspects of the royal family such as this one as another reason why we are so intrigued by them.

“We see the royal family from womb to tomb. Just like in our own family we attend weddings, funerals, hospital stays, births and vacations,” She said. “We feel a part of them and they are more like us than we might imagine.”

Another way fans can relate: sleepless nights. “He wriggles around quite a lot and he doesn’t want to go to sleep that much, which is a little bit of a problem,” Prince William recently  told CNN’s Max Foster in a GMA interview. “He’s a little bit of a rascal.”

Prince William even admitted to being the first person ever to change young Prince George’s diaper, or “nappy” as the British call it. He had the honor, not Kate. 

Will and Kate continue to inspire and fascinate royal fans with their parenting, fashion choices, and obvious love for each other. We can’t help but wonder who the next Cinderella story will be.

“Kate is a great role model for all girls and her marriage shows what every girl deserves. I want that fairytale to be in my future,” Mergruen said.

Photo 1: Photo by Peter Macdiarmid/ Getty Images http://www.flickr.com/photos/b…

Photo 2:  Photo by Ashley Mott: http://commons.wikimedia.org/w…

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.