In Bloom: Cherry Blossom Festival full of events for everyone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Across the world, budding flowers and chirping birds signify the start of spring. In Washington D.C., however, these take on a greater meaning – the start of the National Cherry Blossom Festival.

Pink buds burst into bloom, leaving the city with a feeling of paradise before the muggy summer months set in. To celebrate, Washington hosts a wide array of events for four weeks, attracting tourists from around the globe.

Photo Credit: NationalCherryBlossomFestival.Org

While it may sound like a tourist trap, the National Cherry Blossom Festival is also a celebration of the Washington community, which is just a few metro stops away from the University of Maryland. Not to mention, much of the entertainment is free.

“The festival is an international event, but also a community one. It really focuses on the best of Washington D.C.” said Danielle Piacente, the media representative for the Cherry Blossom Festival.

“The festival is for everyone – it’s all in planning on what the people want it to be,” she added.

For the Newbie

“I have always wanted to go to the Cherry Blossom Festival. There is something similar to that in my hometown, so I think it would be like having a bit of home here,” said sophomore psychology and criminology major Marissa Gates.

For those new to the festival, there are a few Cherry Blossom traditions that cannot be missed. A parade on April 13 at 10 a.m. features Grammy award winning artist Mya, American Idol winner Elliot Yamin and Carmen Electra along with blossom-inspired floats, balloons and performances.

Photo Credit: NationalCherryBlossomFestival.org

The Blossom Kite Festival, which has been going on for 50 years, is also a festival tradition.  On March 30, from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., kites will be made and flown on the mall.

For the Foodie

A foodie paradise already, Washington restaurants become even more inspired with the Cherry Blossom Festival.

“Local restaurants really get involved with the festival with cherry blossom inspired foods,” said Piacente.

At most of the festival events, food trucks abound. Not to mention, there are a few events that are sure to tantalize taste buds. A Taste of Japan event brings top local Japanese restaurants together to provide a tasting menu. The price is set at $100, which could be steep for some college students.

For the Fitness Junkie

What better way to enjoy the blossoms than to run through them? The Credit Union Cherry Blossom 10 mile run and 5k run-walk on April 7 at 7:30 a.m. is currently open to charity entries only. Charity entries have to raise $500 for the official race charity, Credit Unions for Kids to be a part of the official race.

On April 5 and April 6, there is a Health and Fitness Expo at the National Building Museum. The event is free and open to the public from 1 p.m to 7:30 p.m. Talks and clinics on health and fitness will be the focus of the event.

Want something with a little more rhythm? On April 6 at noon, a free Zumba class will be led at the Jefferson Memorial amongst the blossoms.

For the Music Lover

The Cherry Blast Art + Music Dance Party is, according to the National Cherry Blossom website, “an event for those who expect the unexpected!” The event, which is on March 29 from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m., melds DJs, visual and performance art and multimedia into one event. The event is only $10, but it is for those age 21 and older.

The Southwest Waterfront Fireworks Festival will also feature several musical acts. A free event from 1 p.m. to 9 p.m., the show will feature several local acts and military bands.

For Everyone

The festival offers several things to help festivalgoers enjoy the Cherry Blossoms even more. A festival app can be found by searching for the National Cherry Blossom Festival on iPhone or Android app stores. The app is great for advance planning and using in real time.

The Petal Pass, which is free at local Capital One Bank locations provide discounts to participating locations and businesses, including Georgetown Cupcake, Macy’s, New York and Company, Pinkberry, Subway, Teaism and more.