The Best Museums in D.C. You Need to Visit This Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

One of the best aspects of the University of Maryland is that the campus has easy access to the metro system, which can take you anywhere in the Washington, D.C. area. Going to museums is such a fun activity to do on the weekend with your friends, especially if you are looking for a change of scenery. It gets you outside, interacting with the city’s history and art. Plus, after absorbing and exploring all the beautiful art, you can hit up a cool, new lunch spot in the area.

Here is a list of five must-see museums in Washington, according to Thrillist.

1. National Gallery of Art

This museum has multiple works of art by Leonardo da Vinci, Raphael, El Greco and many more. There are often limited-time exhibits featured inside the museum. The National Gallery of Art also has an outdoor sculpture garden, which is popular during the warm months. The admission is free, and the museum is open Monday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Definitely, go check it out soon before it starts to get super cold.

2. Newseum

This museum is one of my favorites, containing six floors of the greatest news media that we have in our country. There are many different exhibits, including Pulitzer Prize-winning photographs, a 9/11 remembrance and an interactive newsroom. It is constantly hosting new exhibits and is truly one of the most fascinating museums, in my opinion.  Admission is $24.95, but good news, they give student discounts. They are open Monday through Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

3. International Spy Museum

Here you get the chance to learn what it takes to become a spy and read about some of history’s most important methods of communicating top-secret information. Many of the exhibits do not change much; however, there are often keynote speakers and other guests who host talks, which are interesting to attend. Admission is $22.95, but they offer student discounts. The International Spy Museum is open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily.

4. The Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden

This museum is very popular for fans of modern art and sculptures. The museum changes exhibits very often, so if you see a certain artist you think you might like, you should try to go soon. Exhibits have ranged from Ai Weiwei, Yoko Ono and many other popular artists. Admission is free, and it is open daily from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

5. National Portrait Gallery

You have probably heard of the relatively new Obama portraits, featuring both former President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama, which the gallery has displayed. The walls of the gallery are filled with portraits of presidents, along with other prominent figures in our history, even famous athletes. Admission is free, and it is open daily from 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Take a trip into Washington, D.C., maybe even on a weekday when you do not have a lot of work, and check out one of these fascinating museums. You will walk away feeling like you took a little piece of history with you.