Best Bars in College Park

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Maryland’s bar scene may be limited, but it is thriving among college students. Each student, however, has her favorite place to be on any given Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night.

Even with the recent addition of Terrapins Turf, many students still stay loyal to their favorite bar, R.J. Bentley’s.

“I like Bentley’s more because it’s more of a casual atmosphere. Terrapins Turf is fun if you want to go and dance, but I would rather have a more laid back night at Bentley’s,” said senior journalism major Sam Piccirillo.

Many people love Bentley’s happy hour, which takes place every Friday from 4-7 p.m. Half priced appetizers and discounted drinks are available.

“The appetizers are great for splitting with friends. I also love the outdoor bar and the outdoor eating area, especially when it’s nice outside,” said senior neurobiology and physiology major Vicki Guiliani.

“The people around Bentley’s are so relaxed and easy to talk to. Also, the bartenders are nice and get to know their customers,” junior communications major Brie Whalen said.

Although Bentley’s happy hour is fun for customers, it can get crazy for employees.

“It can get really chaotic on Fridays. It gets pretty dirty so we have to clean much more frequently. It’s also not uncommon to see people get too drunk and get asked to leave,” said Bentley’s employee Adam Gans.

Even though Bentleys seems to be the most popular bar in the area, some students still prefer other bars instead.

“I have the most fun at Cornerstone, especially on Tuesdays. It’s recently become the most popular place to go to, probably because Bentley’s gets too crowded sometimes,” said junior biology major Gina Alongi-Huslig.

Terrapin’s Turf, the newest bar in College Park, located on Knox Rd., has attracted a few students as well.

Photo from Terrapin’s Turf Facebook

“It’s awesome because it offers a different, more exciting atmosphere. It’s so much bigger than any other bars here,” junior communications major Sarah Alberts said.

Looney’s Pub, located underneath of The Varsity apartment complex, attracts students because of the live music performed there on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

The bar has been open since 2011, and offers tons of food options, from their chicken nachos to crab pretzels.

“Looney’s has great food, but it’s a little expensive compared to the other bars. I always end up spending a lot of money there,” said senior journalism major Kevin Bonner.

When The Barking Dog replaced Thirsty Turtle in late 2011, it was the place to be. Students could be sure that every Tuesday night, the line to get in would extend all the way down to Potbelly’s.

Recently, it’s become slightly less popular because of students’ dislike for the excessive crowds.

“I just don’t like how you can barely move upstairs sometimes. With all the other bars to choose from, I usually end up going somewhere else instead,” junior government major Jen Guthrie said.

Because all of the CP bars have such different atmospheres, UMD students are sure to find the bar that’s perfect for them.

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.