burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

90’s Trends, Back for 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

This year your fall shopping can be done for free, in your Mom’s closet! Just look for these key pieces to take your style from a 1 to the 90s! 

Chokers

It seems like everyone and their mother owns a choker necklace!  Literally, your mom probably rocked a choker necklace back in the day (if she denies it she’s lying).   Chokers are the accessory right now so either pick one up from forever 21, or tie anything from a bandanna to a ribbon around your neck to get the look!

Jean Jackets

Oversized distressed and patched jean jackets are not only very trendy right now, but they are a great way to warm up your outfit!  All the “It girls” are wearing distressed jean jackets that are 3 sizes too big for them.  Just look at the Hadid sisters, the Jenners, or Ariana Grande for inspiration

Flannels

This trend has been around for a few years now, and who can blame us? Flannels are warm, comfortable, and cover your butt in leggings, not to mention you can find them at thrift stores for less than 10 bucks.  Tie one around your waist as an accessory or throw it over a long t-shirt dress, and you are golden.  

Cropped tops

Believe it or not, cropped tops were invented way before the 2010s.  Crop tops were huge in the 80’s and 90’s.  Even guys wore cropped tops back then (let’s bring that back please)!  You can wear a cropped top with basically any bottom, but try to keep them high waisted if you’re going for a 90’s look.  

High waisted pants

If you didn’t know that high waisted pants were a blast from the past, where have you been? Do you remember those few years where low-rise jeans were so fashionable? That was awful!  Now we are back to our prime where you can sit down in jeans and not have to worry about your underwear showing, thank the fashion Gods.  

Bodysuits and one pieces

Probably my favorite 90’s come back, the holy grail to making your high waisted shorts look hot af: BODYSUITS.  A wise woman once said, bodysuit jeans are like oxygen to my lungs.  Wait no that was me, just now.  Anyway, don’t ever struggle with tucking in your shirt to your pants again. Just use your old leotards from dance or gymnastics and you will never look back.  

Slip dresses

One of the newer trends from the 90’s that isn’t too popular yet is the classic slip dress.  Made famous by Kate Moss, a simple slip dress paired with a jean jacket or a choker is so 1990 that its 2016! Slip dresses can be intimidating but just look to Rihanna for some 90’s vibes.