7 Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day During a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

February 14 is known as a day filled with chocolates, flowers, stuffed animals and love. Whether you planned to celebrate Valentine’s Day with your significant other or Galentine’s Day — technically celebrated Feb. 13 — with your closest girlfriends, plans are looking pretty different this year. Normal activities like dressing fancy for nice restaurants or having parties are not the safest ways to celebrate given the current COVID-19 restrictions. Here are seven ways you can still cherish the bonds you have with your loved ones in a safe and socially-distanced way!

1. Wine and dine in a more cozy setting

people on a picnic holding wineglasses
Photo by freestocks.org from Pexels
Instead of the usual reservation at a fancy restaurant, make plans to share a meal outside.  Pick up takeout from your favorite local restaurant or pack some snacks from home, and enjoy your meal in a more casual way: picnic-style. This is a perfect way to keep six feet apart while still enjoying each other’s company. If the weather is chilly, have an indoor picnic. You can spread out a blanket and some pillows in front of a window or a cozy fireplace, lay out all your favorite finger foods and enjoy. For an extra naturistic touch, surround yourself with flowers and other plants — fake or living.

2. Romantic movie marathon

two people watching Netflix
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels
Pop some popcorn, put on comfy clothes and enjoy a movie — or several — with whoever you’re spending the holiday with. If you’re physically together, couch cuddles never fail. If you’re socially distant in separate houses, Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video have group watching options, so you can enjoy a movie together even if you’re not together. The Lovebirds, About Time and Always Be My Maybe are Netflix favorites right now. 

3. Put your chef’s hat to good use

woman being hugged while cooking
Photo by Ketut Subiyanto from Pexels
This idea is fun and can save you money. Instead of going to a restaurant or ordering takeout, take the opportunity to try some new recipes. Grab some colorful aprons, put on your favorite playlist and get cooking. You can invite your S/O or friends over to your house — or just cook while video chatting with one another. If you’re a beginner chef, there are a variety of subscription services you can order meal kits from such as Blue Apron or Hello Fresh

4. Enjoy nature
two people wearing hiking shoes overlooking mountains
Photo by Noel Ross from Pexels

Any activity that allows you to be outside is perfect during the pandemic. You can drive to some local hiking trails or parks for some change in scenery. Hiking is a great way to get out of your house and stay active as well as a good opportunity to catch up with whoever you’re spending your holiday with. If hiking isn’t your thing, there are plenty of outdoor date ideas for winter such as ice skating, snowboarding, skiing or snow tubing.  

5. Channel your inner bookworm

two people reading books on couch
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels
This idea can be altered a number of different ways, depending on who you’re celebrating with. If you’re hanging out with a group, have a book club complete with wine and snacks. For a one-on-one date, pick out books for each other. You can spend the evening curled up on the couch with tea, coffee or hot chocolate and enjoy your stories in each other’s company. If you’re not into reading, listen to a digital book from Audible or try a podcast. If you really want to immerse yourself in the story, take turns reading lines or even act it out.

6. Embrace your artistic side

two people painting together
Photo by C. Z. Shi from Unsplash

If you’re looking to tap into your artistic side, grab some paint, brushes and a canvas from a local craft store, and spend the day making art. You can freestyle it or follow along with tutorials such as Bob Ross videos. If painting isn’t your thing, you could always sketch, color or do any other sort of craft. 

7. Relax with an at-home spa day

two women with cucumbers on their eyes
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels
Treat yourself to a nice, relaxing spa day  — all from the comfort of your own home. Put on a fluffy robe, light a couple candles and get to pampering. Skincare routines, face masks and painting your nails are all easy activities to do with people via video chat. You’re getting a day full of glam for a fraction of the usual cost. And don’t forget to put cucumber slices on your eyes and sip lemon water for the full spa effect.

Kara Thompson is a sophomore Journalism and Government & Politics double major at the University of Maryland, College Park. In addition to writing for HerCampus, she is a copy editor for Stories Beneath the Shell, another UMD publication.
Devon Milley is a junior at the University of Maryland College Park, majoring in multi-platform journalism and information science. She's currently a Campus Correspondent for her chapter. Raised in Pittsburgh, PA, Devon is a major Netflix binger, and loves coffee and ice cream. Follow her on Instagram @dnm1023 and Twitter @Devon_MIlley.