This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Frigid temperatures have got nothing on us, am I right ladies? With Winter right around the corner, it is the perfect time to change up our wardrobes! When transitioning from one season to another, it is essential to have basic pieces in your closet that are easy to combine and fun to accessorize!

Winter is coming and you can’t miss the following must-haves…

1. Scarves

This accessory is my personal favorite because scarves easily pull any outfit together and not only are they extremely comfortable, they are also super versatile in style. Whether you’re in the mood for a patterned infinity scarf or a solid colored French knot scarf, you can never go wrong with this addition to your winter outfit!  

2. Gloves

We’ve all been in the situation of being unable to respond to texts because our fingers are frozen—the solution? Gloves. You can get them in any material, design, style and size and if you can get your hands on gloves that are compatible with touch screens too, you’re pretty much set! This is the accessory I almost always forget to put in my purse so my suggestion is to just leave a small pair in your bag for a snowy day.  

3. Sweaters

Sweaters are like leggings in the sense that you can just throw one on and you’re pretty much done. The extra bonus with sweaters: they are super warm and cozy—they’re basically blankets that are socially acceptable to wear in public! When picking the perfect sweater, make sure it’ll actually keep you warm—freezing at the cost of being stylish is not the move, you can do both!  

4. Boots

You can’t survive Winter without a good pair of boots, especially if it’s snowing! Pro tip: make sure you find a comfortable fit that will also allow you to wear thick socks underneath for extra warmth and pay attention to the material of the sole. You wouldn’t want to slip!  

5. Hats

Hats with the “puff” at the top are super “in” right now and come in a variety of colors—whether that’s your style or not, don’t leave the house without a hat! They complement every winter outfit, protect your hair and double as earmuffs. Feel free to get creative with the colors, too!  

6. A Good Winter Coat

Picture this as the armor you need to combat the extreme temperatures and more importantly, the wind chill. Although layering is rule #1 for cold weather, it won’t really do much if you don’t have a good winter coat to top it all off. If you don’t have one yet, get yours before you regret it!

Here’s to staying warm while looking cute!