5 Ways to Dress for Fall Football Games Once It Gets Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

With two more big regular season football games coming up, it is important to dress for the occasion, look cute and not freeze your fingers and toes off!

h

1. Layer up!!

This is probably the most important piece of advice. Therefore, some ways to layer up and STILL look cute would be to buy red fleece to wear over your normal Maryland gear. This will keep you warm and comfy but still allow you to be spirited in Maryland colors! The best way to get this look cheap is to buy your red fleece not from a big brand name (I got a good red fleece for around $10 at a discount outdoors store). This will save you lots of money because, as we all know, fleece can be very, very expensive depending on where you get it. Or you could get it from the many campus shops on campus, on route one, and online. You could even wear your fleece under your long sleeve shirts or UMD jackets. However, make sure that you pick a fleece that is thick and warm!!

2. Invest in a good Maryland scarf, hat, and gloves!

At the campus Bookstore and at other off campus locations such as The University Shop (a short walk from the Montgomery bus stop) Route One Apparel, and UMD’s online fan store Shop.umterps.com sell a plethora of hats, ear muffs and ear warmers to keep your whole head warm as we gear up for our night game against Michigan State and our last home game after Thanksgiving against Rutgers. In addition, a perfect way to keep your neck warm is to get a scarf, but not any old scarf – invest in some Maryland pride! Also invest in a good pair of gloves, doesn’t matter if they are from the University or from home, but it never hurts to have added UMD pride! There are many scarves and gloves to choose from, just like with the hats, so you can pick one that fits your taste perfectly!

3. Flannel, Flannel, and more Flannel!

This is by far my favorite fall football trend! I love all things flannel and I think they are a quintessential college game day favorite. They are cute and warm, and if you get them big enough you can even wear them over jackets or sweatshirts, to maximize the adorableness of your game day outfit. They are usually (if you get quality flannel) heavy enough to keep you warm, and they are available in Maryland colors from multiple campus retailers. I personally got mine from “The University Shop” for five bucks…yeah, talk about a bargain! They look good with any pant that you choose as well, whether it be jeans or leggings, making it perfect for the cold weather!

4. Maryland Sweatshirts and Jackets are a MUST!

This is important as well because no matter what you choose to wear on game day, you’re going to be wearing either a sweatshirt or a jacket…or both, well, unless you want to freeze of course! Therefore, why not invest in a nice and warm UMD sweatshirt (there are TONS of them out there!) or a jacket. The University Bookstore offers jackets and windbreakers and even a mix of the two with nice sweatshirt fabric inside and rain/windbreaker material on the outside (I highly recommend, I LOVE mine). It is perfect because it is Maryland gear but oh, so warm.

5. It’s all about the pants and shoes!

Of course it is almost given that no one should be showing up to the upcoming games in shorts, but alas, I am sure we will see some brave souls donning them out in the winter weather. However, if you would like to stay warm and look great, invest in a good pair of jeans or leggings. The University Bookstore also offers Maryland specific yoga pants and leggings to suit your spirit needs to help you stay warm and cheer on the best team in the Big 10! Also to keep your feet warm – invest in a good pair of UMD socks and a cute pair of boots! Or if you want your feet to be super comfy for the duration of the game invest in a pair of Uggs, while they are not my personal favorite, I do occasionally take them out of the depths of my closet to wear to chilly football games, because they are perfect for that!

Make sure you look cute and spirited but not with the cost of freezing during football games! Save that for the after parties, and for now, stay classy and warm Terps.

Julia Bryant is a Freshman Multi-Platform Journalism Major in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland with plans to double major in French studies. She is also an avid member of both the Club Swim Team and Maryland Triathlon Team. She hopes to one day work for National Public Radio as a political correspondent! 
Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.