5 Tips on Getting Along with Your New Roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Whether you’re a freshman moving into a dorm or an upperclassman sharing an apartment, getting new roommates can be daunting, especially if you don’t know them.  But with a few tips and an honest effort, you can get along with your roommates and spend a great year (or more) coexisting with them.

Organizing Your Shared Space Together

It’s tempting to just leave your stuff wherever you can find space and let your roommate do the same. But if you take the time together to figure out where to put your cups and where she can put her shampoo, it’ll feel more like you’re living together rather than just passing by in the same space.  Tackling problems together brings people closer – solving the task of organization will do the same for you and your roommate.  Find out what day she’s moving in and try to coordinate a time soon after to meet and organize.

Attend Beginning-of-the-Year Campus Events

Here at the University of Maryland, there are always tons of events to welcome new and returning students to the campus.  From free coffee during the first week of classes at The Board And Brew to the First Look Fair, there are ample opportunities to hang out with your roommate and get to know the school better.  Suggest going to see a movie at Hoff Theater or check out the Stamp Friday showcases together.  Having something to do will help cover up any awkward silences and provide topics for you to discuss.  You’ll learn more about your roomie’s interests and be able to share some of your own.

Ask for their Opinion Before Making Décor Changes

If you want to redecorate the kitchen or add a painting to the living room, ask your roommate what she thinks before making changes.  She might have awesome suggestions or disagree with your ideas.  There are also tons of DIY décor you can create together – it’s been shown to help families bond and can help you, too.

Clean Up After Yourself

If you have your own bedroom or bathroom, you can get awry with leaving your stuff everywhere.  But in the rooms you share with your roommate, it’s courteous to clean up after yourself.  Wash the dishes after you use them, take out the trash if it’s full and clean up any spills you make.  That way your roommate doesn’t have to step around your trash to study or have a meal.  Research has shown that those who work in a cleaner environment follow rules better and make healthier eating choices, so it’s a win-win to keep your place clean.

Talk About Any Problems You Have

You are bound to disagree with your roommate at some point.  Rather than gritting your teeth and tolerating her habit of blasting music at 2 am, bring it up with her in a civilized manner.  Don’t yell or call her names – just explain that her after-hours jam sessions are interfering with your sleep and you would appreciate it if she would lower the volume or use headphones.  By nipping problems in the bud, you can solve them before you begin resenting each other.  And by bringing up the issues you have, she might feel better about telling you her own qualms.  

Above all, communicating with your roommate and taking the time to get to know her will help ensure that the your year living together goes smoothly.  College roommates are people we don’t easily forget and you might even end up making a lifelong friend.