The 5 Stages of Painting a Cooler for Away Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Everyone knows that fraternities formals are the most anticipated event of the season because you get to spend the weekend at an awesome destination. Getting asked to be a fraternity man’s date is like being asked to prom all over again, but with one catch; the frat cooler. Simultaneously the coolest and most dreaded part of being a guy’s date, creating a frat cooler causes women to go through five stages…

1. Excitement!!!

Formal season has rolled around and you scored yourself an invite to Away Weekend. You’re simultaneously flattered and pumped to go. I mean you did just get invited on a free trip, which is pretty awesome! Whether you’re dating the brother, or it’s just a guy you hang with; your mind immediately jumps to the amazing cooler you’re going to paint. Your excitement grows as you do your research on frat coolers, via Pinterest. You have so many ideas, and not enough sides of the cooler. You’re determined that your cooler is going to be the best out of all the other girls going. Your date is going to worship you.

2. Financial Depression:

As you head out to Walmart or BJ’s, it becomes apparent that making the best cooler of all time is also going to be the most expensive cooler of all time. Not only do you have to buy a decent sized cooler, but also primer, modge podge, acrylic paints, paint pens, and sealer. As your cart in Michael’s piles up with art supplies, you start to feel depressed about the hit that your bank accounts about to take. Why did no one tell you that Away Weekend was actually going to cost you money?

3. Impatience:

Regardless of the state of your finances, you buckle down and begin the cooler creating process. I sure hope you started WAY in advance, because these things take forever. From sanding the cooler, to applying several coats of primer, and then tracing/mod-podging/free handing designs; coolers take zen-like patience. You’re going to get frustrated, and you’re going to want to rush the process.

4. Anger:

A lot of time, sweat, and tears have gone into creating your work of art. You have been painstakingly painting every side. But no matter how hard you try; something is bound to go wrong. Maybe you smear wet paint all over a design, or the small detail you were working on isn’t turning out like you wanted. Due to the pressure, you will flip out at least once and go on an angry screaming rampage. You want perfection, but not everything will turn out how you envisioned. Just take a deep breath.

5. Relief:

FINALLY. Each side is painted to the best of your abilities, and it actually looks pretty good! Just think of it this way, he’s a college boy and most likely doesn’t have artistic skill of his own, so he will definitely appreciate it. Finish it off with a couple coats of sealant, and pronounce your masterpiece complete. You can now breath a sigh of relief, and look forward to the debauchery that is Away Weekend/Formal.

Famously known for her R.B.F, and ability to convince guys to buy her Pizza Kingdom. She is a Criminology/Criminal Justice major, in the Pre-Law program; because all of her parents/teachers/adult figures told her as a child that she should put her argueing skills to good use one day.