5 Reasons Why You Should Sign Up for the Relay For Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

So we have all heard about the Relay for Life. Some of our friends and family members have participated in it and maybe we’ve even expressed interest in participating as well. But what exactly is it?

The main goal of the Relay for Life is to raise funds to improve cancer survival and decrease the incidents of cancer. The Relay for Life is a community-based fundraising event established by the American Cancer Society. Over 5,000 Relay for Life Events take place throughout 20 countries, so not only does this event benefit cancer patients in the United States, the movement has become global! The event has increasingly become common on college campuses and UMD will be hosting our very own on April 18-19, 2015! So why should you participate in the Relay for Life? Here are a few reasons:

Raise awareness

Cancer is a disease that can affect anyone. Raising awareness can save lives. Catching the disease early can be the difference between life and death. It is important that people know that organizations such as the American Cancer Society are there to support cancer patients. Plus organizations such as these offer free services which are extremely valuable to cancer patients. Also get your friends involved as well, make this fight to end cancer a movement that will forever eliminate cancer. By participating in this event, you are raising awareness!

Raise money for a worthy cause

The money you help raise when you participate in the Relay for Life goes towards research, Hope Lodge, Road to Recovery, Look Good…Feel Better, and Reach to Recovery. Through research, the American Cancer Society has been able to come up with suggestions for lifestyle changes and new approaches in therapies to improve cancer patients’ quality of life. The American Cancer Society also has multiple facilities called the Hope Lodge where cancer patients can stay for free while they are away from home receiving the treatment.

The Road to Recovery, another American Cancer Society sponsored program, matches cancer patients with specially trained volunteer drivers. This way, cancer patients never miss a doctor’s appointment. Support can be the most significant need when fighting cancer. The Reach to Recovery Program does just that!

Trained breast cancer survivors are matched up with people who have just been diagnosed with breast cancer to offer support and hope. Because chemotherapy and radiation can have negative effects on the body, the Look Good…Feel Better program is there to provide women battling cancer beauty techniques to help them improve their appearance during treatment.

Spend time with your family and friends

The Relay for Life can be a healing process for you as well. Many of us know someone who has lost their life to cancer. At the Relay event, you have the chance to remember, celebrate, and fight back! You also have the chance to meet with people who are equally passionate about ending cancer in our lifetime and possibly make long-lasting friendships!

Celebrate the strength of survivors

You are likely to meet many survivors at the Relay event. These survivors truly deserve all the attention. They have found the courage and hope to keep going on. Their hope and resilience is truly a matter worth celebrating!

Get in some exercise

An important part of the Relay for Life is walking or running around the track. So, not only do you help raise money, you can also put in some exercise time while raising money for a worthy cause!