andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Keys To A Perfect European Getaway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Hello, from abroad!

If there is one thing I’ve learned during my short time in Europe so far, it’s that maximizing my time and planning ahead when it comes to weekend trips is key to making the most out of my time overseas.

For those who aren’t used to traveling often, yes, the thought of planning a trip all on your own may be daunting. But fear not! Here are a couple of tips I’ve found to be extremely helpful…

1. Make a list of cities you want to visit.

I don’t know about you, but I am a huge fan of lists and in this particular case, a list can be the perfect starting point to plann your dream trip! The amount of time you have in Europe will definitely impact the number of cities on your list, but you can’t go wrong with writing down a top five!

2. Set tentative dates.

Pull out a calendar and decide on a couple of dates that work best with your schedule. This will help you narrow down the best time to visit each city based on weather and any other factors (such as holidays that city will be celebrating or special events happening during that time).

3. Book your flight.

Time to make this trip official! My go-to sites for traveling within Europe are ryanair.com, easyjet.com, vueling.com, skyscanner.com and momondo.com (the last two compare flight prices across airlines).

For the most part, these sites will offer you the lowest prices—why not save some money, right? Something to keep in mind about these airlines, though, is that sometimes there are tiny catches when it comes to additional fees, so just read all of the company’s policies.

4. Pick your housing.

The possibilities are endless for this one! I personally am a huge fan of Airbnb and have had great experiences so far. However, this is a choice you have to make after considering location and prices.

5. Narrow down your must-dos and must-sees.

There is no need to plan your trip down to the second, but I have found it very helpful to go into a trip having a general idea of what there is to do and see. I would suggest having a rough list and once you get to the city, asking for a city map. Explore on your own time—no tours needed!

Walking around a city is one of the best ways to get an authentic feel for it, especially if you get lost which is always a blessing in disguise.

Happy travels!