etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Everyone is always looking for fun activities to do in the fall before it gets too cold out and leaving your bed isn’t an option. Fall is the best time to get outside on the weekends and Instagram all those classic autumn ~views.~ Even when you are walking to class and look out across campus, the sky is filled with orange and red and yellow trees that truly make University of Maryland so pretty.

Next time you find yourself bored on the weekends or just wanting to enjoy the outdoors, check you this list of five different activities that are sure to make you appreciate the fall weather and all the views and delicious food that come with it.

1. Holidays at the National Harbor

The National Harbor is located just 20 minutes south of Washington, D.C., and every year hosts a ton of different holiday-themed activities, located both indoors and outdoors. There is shopping at the Tanger Outlets, holiday markets, movies, performances and lots of places to get food. Also, they have the Capital Wheel where you can see the tree from the top of the Ferris wheel. This is definitely a fun place to visit to get you in the holiday spirit.

2. Union Market

If you love food, then you need to go to Union Market in D.C. It is a gourmet food hall and was actually ranked top 5 in the country. There are tons of places to eat with 48 vendors in the market. The Washington Post called it, a “mecca for foodies around the D.C. area.” You can check them out online and see what everyone raves about. But if you are in the mood for a good meal on the weekend, this is definitely a stop you want to hit.

3. Season’s Greeting at the Botanic Garden

During the holidays the Botanic Garden gets a festive transformation and has a bunch of fun exhibits. The Garden has a train exhibit that runs through classic train stations that are decorated so beautifully for the season. There are also cool exhibits inside that show off famous D.C. landmarks. This is a fun activity to do with friends or even your parents if they come visit for a weekend. The decorations also make for great pictures.

4. ZooLights

This might be the best one on the list because it involves really pretty lights, hot chocolate, and live music. ZooLights is hosted annually at the National Zoo and it is a display of insanely vibrant LED Christmas lights. It’s basically like you are walking through a wonderland. There are also fun activities, and like I mentioned before hot chocolate and live music, so that is really all you really need to have fun.

5. Museum Exhibits

This year Mexican-Canadian artist Rafael Lozano-Hemmer is bringing one of the largest, and maybe coolest, interactive exhibits to the Hirshhorn Museum. The exhibition is called Pulse and it uses heart-rate sensors to create audio-visual experiences from the guest’s biometric data – seriously how cool does that sound!? The data then creates sounds and light animations. Admission for this exhibit is also free.

These are just a few of the activities you can do this month and throughout the fall that are sure to guarantee a fun time and cool experiences. So if you ever get bored of College Park, check out some of these activities.