This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Virtual classes can be rough. On top of having limited social interaction, being on Zoom for hours isn’t beneficial to anyone’s mental or physical health. To cope, I’ve been making an active effort to take a break from screens each day and read a book instead. In the process, I’ve discovered new gems and rediscovered old favorites. 

Whether you’re a dedicated bookworm or just trying to get back into reading for fun, here are five of my favorite books.

Bonus: they all have strong female protagonists. 

1. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

Where the Crawdads Sing cover
G.P. Putnam\'s Sons
Owens’ debut work of fiction follows Kya, a girl who grows up alone on the North Carolina coast after being abandoned. She’s dubbed the “Marsh Girl” by everyone in town and seems to lead a solitary life. That is, until she gets tangled in a web of love and murder accusations, with some poetry woven in for added effect.

If you’re into nature and suspense, this is the novel for you. Prepare to be touched and surprised all at once. 

Rating: 4.5/5 

2. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine cover
Penguin Books

Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine — or is she? Gail Honeyman tells the story of a schedule-oriented, lonely homebody who’s been through some traumatic events, although we don’t initially know what they are. When Eleanor gets to know her colleague Raymond, she begins to explore more of the world and embarks on a healing journey.

Save this book for a hard time — it’s a great reminder that things work themselves out in the end. 

Rating: 5/5

3. Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid 

Such a Fun Age cover
G.P. Putnam\'s Sons

Emira Tucker doesn’t have the career people seem to expect at her age, but she’s content spending her days as a babysitter for the Chamberlains, a well-known Philadelphia family. However, one night, she’s at a local grocery store with the Chamberlains’ daughter when she’s accused of trying to kidnap her. This sets off a chain of events that puts her at odds with her employer and leads her to reevaluate her outlook on life. 

Reid’s book will lead you to think more about how structural racism and discrimination play out in everyday life, whether we realize it or not. Check it out if you’re looking for a quick but thought-provoking read. 

Rating: 4/5 

4. Educated by Tara Westover

Educated cover
Random House

I’m not usually one to read nonfiction, but Westover’s memoir was an exception. She writes about her childhood in a sheltered, religious Mormon home and her eventual journey of growing up and finding her place in the world. It’s an experience that seems almost too appalling to be true at times but is told in a reflective, masterful way. 

This book is on the longer side, but if you’re looking for an incredible true story filled with twists and turns, it’s for you. 

Rating: 4/5

5. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows and Mary Ann Shaffer

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society cover
The Dial Press

There are lots of books out there about World War II, but this one tells a unique story from the time period. Barrows and Shaffer follow the colorful, headstrong author Juliet Ashton. Juliet makes her way to the English Channel Islands to seek out a subject for her new book but finds much more as she makes eccentric, lifelong friends. 

Even if you’re not into historical fiction, it’s an easy, heartwarming read. Pair it with a cup of tea for the full British experience.  

Rating: 5/5

If you’re looking for even more recommendations, check out some of my favorite female authors: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Jhumpa Lahiri and Zadie Smith. And don’t be afraid to head to your local bookstore or library, and spend an afternoon browsing the shelves. You never know what you could find. Happy reading!

Shifra Dayak

Maryland '24

Shifra is a sophomore multiplatform journalism major at the University of Maryland. When she's not writing, she loves playing instruments, eating Thai food and rewatching Gilmore Girls.
Devon Milley is a junior at the University of Maryland College Park, majoring in multi-platform journalism and information science. She's currently a Campus Correspondent for her chapter. Raised in Pittsburgh, PA, Devon is a major Netflix binger, and loves coffee and ice cream. Follow her on Instagram @dnm1023 and Twitter @Devon_MIlley.