Wellness

4 Tips on How You Can Cope During the Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

The coronavirus is new to all of us and can leave us feeling scared and unsure as we’re stuck in our homes for an extended period of time. Below are some tips to help you cope during this time. 

1. Call a Friend

Although social distancing is strongly recommended for the time being, it doesn’t mean you can’t keep in touch with your friends and loved ones virtually. Video call your closest friends and catch up with them. Come up with creative and fun ways to interact online, such as having a virtual Zoom party! Remember we’re all going through the same situation, so if you’re ever feeling anxious or scared, talk it out with someone. 

woman in a white shirt holding her cell phone in front of her
Kaboompics .com | Pexels

2. Prioritize Self-Care

Self-care is always important. But during uncertain times like now, it’s more important than ever. Check in with yourself each day to see how you’re doing. Do something that makes you happy. Whether it’s taking a bath, reading a good book, binging a new show, or dancing to your favorite song, take the time to take care of yourself. 

Anthony Tran
Anthony Tran / Unsplash

3. Learn Something New

With the extra time that we have at home, it’s a great opportunity to learn something new. Maybe it’s learning how to draw, how to knit, or even learning Java. Whatever it might be, now’s a great time to sharpen those skills. LinkedIn Learning is a great way to learn new things. It’s free for UMD students and provides a great variety of courses regarding software, creative, and business skills. 

scrapbooking
Estee Janssens

4. Limit Your News Consumption

Every news and social media site seems to be talking about one thing and one thing only: COVID-19. Although it’s important to stay informed and educated about the virus, we don’t need to be updated on every little thing every second of the day. The constant flood of negative news could be subconsciously bringing down our mood. Set an allocated amount of time to check up on the news and current updates, then turn your attention to something else. 

Take Care & Stay Safe

As we go through this uncertain time, it is so important for us to all be there for each other. Check in with your loved ones and make sure that they’re doing okay. But don’t forget to check in and take care of yourself as well. As of right now, the most we can do is take safety precautions and hope for the best.

I hope these tips are helpful and give you a sense of direction and assurance. And for anyone who is really struggling, don’t be afraid to reach out for help and take advantage of any resources you need. Remember to take care and stay safe. 

Jessica Lou

Maryland '22

Jessica Lou is a sophomore marketing major at the University of Maryland, College Park. She loves creating things, whether it's in photography, cinematography, or writing, and believes in the importance of practicing self-care, gratitude, and kindness each day. With curiosity and drive for both business and the arts, she hopes to pursue a career based on digital marketing and design.
Audrey graduated from the University of Maryland College Park with a major in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in Information Sciences. She was born and raised in Jakarta, Indonesia. She loves to travel around the world and always has her camera ready to capture everything so follow her on Instagram @audreynwid. Her life motto is 'Don't be afraid to defy the auds, pun intended.' Her furry partner in crime is a Shiba Inu named Hibiki who is quite the model and loves to go hiking. Check him out on Instagram @hibibblekiki