4 Things That Are Guaranteed to Happen in Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

It happens to everyone: you roll out of bed, stumble your way to the bathroom, and go to grab your toothbrush when you see a bruise on your arm. When did that happen? How’d it get there? How long has it been there for? Stuff like that happens to everyone, but these four occurances are definitely some of the most common.

1. Losing socks in between washes

Ah yes, the mysterious case of sock elves. Six socks go into the washing machine and only five come out. Where did that sixth one go? Honestly, where though? It’s not in the machine, nor is it on the path to or from your room. Likewise, how does your one sock always have a hole in the heel while the other doesn’t? At least there’s a bit of an explanation with the way people walk and hold themselves. But how do you explain lost socks and mismatched wear and tear? The washing machine might be eating your clothes but I guess that’s a sacrifice we must be willing to accept in an exchange for clean laundry.

1. Scars

Unless there’s an epic story behind it, you somehow wake up with bumps, bruises, scratches, and scars all over your body in places you don’t recall hitting. I have a scar on the inside of my thumb I attribute to a paper cut gone wrong. But in all honesty, I have no idea how it got there. We as humans are always moving, running into each other, into cabinets, and even over eachother’s toes. As college students, we can hardly remember to pay our rent, let alone tell others how exactly we managed to get all bruised. It’s kinda of a problem – the one where you wake up really confused.

1. Best friends

Now, ‘happening’ may not exactly be the correct word for it, but there’s a moment when you just know. Think about it: do you remember that time you and your best friends decided, yes, I like you, we’re gonna be best friends. This isn’t Step Brothers – we don’t just stop on the street while walking next to your BFF and say, “We are the best of friends.” You kinda just wake up one day after knowing a person for a long time and think to yourself, “Yeah, this person is my best friend… I don’t know how it happened, but I’m really glad it did.” That’s the kinda of ‘happening’ I’m talking about.

1. Wasted time

Honestly though, this is usually how it goes: you come back from class at 12:30pm, sit down and tell yourself, “Okay, I’m just gonna catch up on last night’s episode of Arrow and then start my work.” But one episode turns into one season, and one season turns into a marathon and suddenly it’s gotten dark outside and next thing you know, it’s dinnertime! Sure, you reason that you DID watch an entire season in one sitting (and that’s kinda an accomplishment), but why didn’t you realize the sun was setting or hear your stomach growing at you to feed it? That’s because you were caught up in the story unfolding before you. And, in the end, that’s sort of how life is. You get sucked into all the crazy stuff that goes on around you, get busy living your life, and all of a sudden, you’re married with kids who will also probably end up watching one too many epsiodes during their college years. As Ferris Bueller famously said, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

junior journalism major with a lot of love for writing