4 Must-Have Apps for Freshmen Survival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

For freshman nearing the end of this first month, it may feel as if you are finally getting the hang of being Terps. You know to catch a bus heading to Stamp to avoid walking up Stamp Hill. You know that you should always save your online ELMS quizzes because you never know when UMD Wi-Fi will betray you. But if you are still trying to work out the kinks, here are a few apps to help!

1. Campus Maps

Never get lost again with Campus Maps. This app is a staple on any UMD student’s phone.  I can admit that as a junior, I still use this app on a regular basis when trying to find professors’ offices, or in case my Spanish class gets moved to the Plant Sciences Building.

2. GroupMe

This might seem like a no brainer, but you’d be surprised how many people DON’T use GroupMe!

So many people opt to use iPhone group messaging, but the beauty of the GroupMe app is that it permits you to mute, and then delete the group once the class or assignment is over. I love this because it allows you to avoid having to get all your classmates’ numbers, and lessens the chances of random accounts adding you on Snapchat.

3. Skip the Canvas App

This is a personal preference of mine that I figured out my freshman year. We live in an age where apps make everything easier, But the Canvas App might be one of the only apps I don’t have. While at first the ability to access all your grades and assignments without logging into ELMS seems great,  you’ll find that using ELMS on your web browser is quicker and easier.

ELMS will email you when there is an update anyway, so why get the app notification, too? Not to mention, apps such as Canvas can be huge storage eaters, especially when you have 88+ messages in your inbox from people asking you to send notes.

4. Tapingo

While the Canvas app complicates things, Tapingo does the exact opposite. Ever find yourself trying to factor in how you’ll battle the Chik-fil-A line between your classes? Tapingo allows you to order ahead from almost any on-campus fast food chain or coffee bar.

Running late but still want that latte from Footnotes? The app lets you skip the line, so all you have to do is walk in and grab your food. Even better, you can use the app to get food delivered to you!

5. NextBus

If you don’t have this app yet, stop what you’re doing and download it now. Even if you have a car on campus, you never know when you are going to need UMD’s luxury transportation. While the app is known to miscalculate your wait time, (five minutes could either mean 10 minutes or one minute), it will make moving around campus a lot easier.

Sure, walking to the College Park Shopping Center feels like a relaxing walk, now. But when it’s freezing in January and you want Chipotle, relying on the Green bus route will save your life. Note: DOTS buses are not driven or ridden by Beyoncé ☹

Technology is our friend, a powerful one at that. Get to downloading!

Brooke Giles

Maryland '18

Brooke is from Clinton, Maryland and is a senior at the University of Maryland, studying Broadcast Journalism. A self-proclamied Pop Music enthusiast, she loves everything about music especially when it involves Beyoncé and hopes to work in radio or for a record company.