This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

This weekend it’s all about family – well, and food. The College Park area has so many top food spots to visit, but somehow anytime family and friends visit, it feels like there are literally no restaurants nearby. Whether your visitors are flying in from out of state or driving under an hour to College Park, the last thing this weekend should include is unnecessary time spent discussing and debating where to get your next meal. 

walking distance from Mckeldin mall

the board and brew

At Board and Brew, breakfast lovers are guaranteed to be pleased. Whether it’s 9 a.m. or 11 p.m. dine on delicious morning classics like pancakes to fresh takes like avocado chorizo toast. Just steps away from many of College Park’s apartments, this spot is perfect for convenience, great food and of course – games.

grillmarx

If you’re looking for a more elevated experience without the hassle of trekking to the District – GrillMarx Steakhouse & Raw Bar is for you. This walkable spot has brunch, dinner plus drinks covered for you this weekend with their impressive and extensive menus. Choose between craft cocktails and bottomless mimosas for brunch and seasonal and classic dishes for dinner – you really can’t go wrong. 

the hall cp

You know we had to include this classic. It wouldn’t be a restaurant rundown without The Hall.  Take your parents here for their brunch or dinner. If you and your parents couldn’t score tickets for this week’s game – fear not, The Hall invites you to their football watch party starting at the crack of dawn – a.k.a 8 a.m. 

latao

A great spot for those not-so-invested football fans, LaTao offers a unique experience to the UMD area with amazing flavors and great ambience. Indulge in their comforting hotpots filled with your choice of base and accompanied by sliced meats and more! With great prices – and of course delicious dishes – LaTao will transform your parents’ weekend, especially if you want to stay away from SECU Stadium.  

ledo pizza

If you are an out-of-stater, Ledo’s is a Maryland staple. As the OG spot for Maryland style pizza, Ledo’s is a great restaurant for this weekend. Plus with their bar, they upgrade game day with a perfect synthesis of delicious food, drinks and football.

little blue menu

New to the area – Little Blue Menu may not be the most exquisite spot to stop by this weekend, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a must. As the very first Little Blue Menu storefront, this new concept spot by Chick-Fil-A is still undiscovered by the majority of UMD students. That’s right – you can show your parents a whole new world of a classic fast-food restaurant that very few people have the opportunity to experience. 

looney’s pub

Would it be a true College Park experience if you didn’t stop in to Looney’s Pub. This restaurant and bar is always popping with Terps making it a clear contender for places to take your family. Stop in for bottomless mimosas or hit the bar for a few pre-game beers.   

pho thom

If you haven’t been to Pho Thom you are missing out. This Vietnamese spot is the perfect place to get a comfort meal whether your parents are here or not. Try it for the first time or (if you’re like me) return for the hundredth time. This restaurant’s dishes are unforgettable and will leave you coming back weeks and months after parents weekend has ended.  

driving distance from mckeldin mall

burtons grill & bar

If you are looking for a more chic spot, Burtons Grill & BAR is a great choice that won’t take longer than a few minutes to reach. Start with a MD classic – the crab cake appetizer – before you get lost in the Chicken & Wild Mushroom Ravioli. End the evening off with one of their mouthwatering desserts including seven-layer chocolate cake, cheesecake and key lime pie – the choice is yours, well, and your parents’.

busboys and poets

Another quintessential UMD restaurant – Busboys and Poets is perfect for taking families who prefer to get out of the immediate college area during a football game. While not too far down the road, Busboys and Poets allows you to quickly exit UMD territory so you don’t have to face the wrath of tailgaters and football fans. And while you’re there – peruse their mini bookstore – chances are your parents might step in to swipe their credit card for any purchases before you can reach for yours – a double win.  

denizens brewing co.

For great beer and great food, take to Denizens Brewing Co. this weekend. From their extensive brew options – including seasonal sips – to their succulent specialty hot dogs, Denizens is a great spot for game day outside of campus. Enjoy a beer as you watch UMD defend their undefeated title. 

district taco

Created through hard work, adaptability and a dream to move to the states, District Taco is a great local chain to support this weekend – and every weekend. After more than 10 years in business, it has now expanded to not just its original location of Rosslyn, Virginia but also has locations in Maryland, Pennsylvania and D.C.

Franklins brewery

If your party is split with some looking for a drink-centered meal and others just simply wanting good food, Franklins Brewery in Hyattsville checks both boxes. Their food menu doesn’t resemble the typical brewery style length – with starters, soups, salads, pizza, mains and even specialty menus for Oktoberfest – anyone searching for food will be able to find a favorite on their list. Following suit, their beer and drink menu is built to impress even the most knowledgeable drinkers with an award winning seal on almost every sip offered.  

le fantome

Can’t choose just one? Le Fantome in Riverside Park is perfect for those of us who at the end of the day just can’t make a final decision. With six separate vendors ranging from sweets to sushi, this food hall has something for every family member guaranteed. 

mission bbq

Calling all barbeque lovers, Mission BBQ is the spot to get your brisket, pulled pork and rib fix. Just a few minutes down the road from campus, this joint has an extensive menu that allows you to share big platters or choose your own favorite. As soon as you step into Mission BBQ, you will be transported to the land of all things meats. 

pizzeria paradiso

Take your parents through the typical college dining experience – but elevated of course. Pizza is for breakfast, lunch and dinner sometimes when you live in any college town, but that doesn’t mean you have to own up to that to your parents. Pizzeria Paradiso in Hyattsville is the perfect balance between the comforting feel of pizza without the nasty college taste. From their unmatched pies to their quaint indoor and outdoor seating, Pizzeria Paradiso is the perfect place to recap the semester thus far with your parents. 

silver diner

Who doesn’t love Silver Diner? Literally no one. From all day breakfast to having a milkshake with your meal. At this Maryland original restaurant, there is absolutely free reign on what you can do – the only people stopping you are your parents. But hey, we are all technically adults here and can make our own choices about to veggie or not to veggie at dinner.  

spice 6

Create your own meal at Spice 6. This fast-casual restaurant makes dining customizable with countless ways to take your meal. Try something familiar like a rice or salad bowl, or mix it up with their signature Naan Pizza or wrap. This spot is perfect for families who want to try a little bit of everything – each create your own meal and share! 

streetcar 82

To all of the 21+ students – Streetcar 82 is the perfect spot to cheer with your parents to one of your last (or maybe THE last) family weekend. This weekend is finally going to have some warmer weather and their outdoor seating is picture perfect for a cold pint of their on-tap beers. And if beer isn’t your forte, they have you covered with their fruity seltzer. 

suga & Spice

Suga & Spice is the perfect blend of Caribbean and Southern food that you need in your life this weekend. Their menu takes food we know and love like crab cakes and penne pasta and adds a Caribbean-Southern flare. After your dinner is done – finish it off with some of their addictive desserts.

Katherine Mahoney is from Olney, Maryland and is studying at University of Maryland’s Philip Merrill College of Journalism. Katherine looks forward to gaining a more in-depth perspective on the field of journalism and hone her journalistic abilities in order to give voice to those who remain without in our ever-connected society.