jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

15 Reasons Why Winter Really Isn’t THAT Bad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Maryland kills me sometimes. The cold hasn’t even really kicked in, and we’re already complaining about 50-degree weather, begging Mother Nature to stop being so…natural. Whether we like it or not, winter is coming, just like it always does. And as it fastly approaches, we have to get over this hump and just go with it!

Sure, winter definitely comes with its own unique set of burdens (That feeling you get when you go inside, and your whole body starts to defrost is NO JOKE), but the chillier months also come with some pretty heavy doses of magic and mesmerism, not to mention miracle. Here are 15 reasons why we should all be embracing the season of shiver.  

Snow

Guys, snow is sooooooooo preeeeeeeettttyyyyy…when it’s clean. You can’t deny it: at the sight of snowfall, we all suddenly turn into doe-eyed five year olds who just have to go sledding, and make snowmen and stick our tongues out to the sky. There’s just something about the way those flakes fall over everything in the neighborhood, the way they instantly make our world look all special and romantic, the way every snowfall feels like our first snowfall…

Sweater Weather 

I mean, sweater weather pretty much got started when Autumn came around. But it reaches full effect in the winter, especially around Christmas time, which is fascinating in itself (Let’s just say, you can tell A LOT about a person based on their Xmas sweater style). Whether it’s an ‘80s-inspired pullover, a chunky knit or a thrift store turtle neck, sweaters are amazing because they’re literally hugs we get to wear. What’s better than that?   

Comfort Food

Carbs, carbs, carbs! Europe and the USA may have had their differences in the past, but one thing they definitely can agree on is the gloriousness of meat and potatoes. Winter time is the ultimate time to get all starchy and indulge in our guiltiest of culinary pleasures. C’mon, you know eating your weight in lasagna just isn’t the same come July. 

The Holidays

Chrismahanukwanzakah, New Years, Valentine’s Day, the gang’s all here! Wintertime is chock full of our absolute favorite calendar celebrations. And it’s pretty cool that there’s so much time we get to dedicate to showing our families, friends and lovers how much we care about them, all in one block of time. 

But Seriously, Valentine’s Day

Love is literally in the air on Valentine’s Day. No matter what your status is, there’s always somewhere to go, someone to snuggle and something to cheer on. And pink, LOTS of pink.  

Cuffing Season

It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but for all the daters of the world, wintertime is pretty great for settling down and spending quality time with someone you care about, away from outdoor distractions. Now, the summer of course, is another story… 

Scandal

Shonda has been holding out on us gladiators lately, but Scandal comes back in full force this February! We get Liv, Fitz, Cyrus and most importantly, the opportunity to just pretend like Nov. 8 never happened and Mellie’s going to be our president come 2017.

Peppermint-Flavored Everything

Pumpkin spice is great, but in December, peppermint always ends up the new sheriff in town. And for good reason! It’s cool, tingly, pairs well with chocolate and instantly makes every sweet treat way more adorable. 

Winter Break

Dude, we get to SLEEP, hide under the covers and do nothing in the winter. Just remember that. 

Christmas Music

The awesome thing about Christmas, is that almost every artist has a Christmas album. Seriously, look it up. No matter how bad of a day you’re having, you know a smile can’t be too far behind when “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” or Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas” starts playing.

Glitz and Glamour

In the winter, everything is just so much more lavish, don’t you think? The teas are spicier, the perfumes are richer, the lipstick shades are darker and the list goes on. In the winter, everyone can feel like a boss, a star and a queen.

Hibernation

I’m not saying being anti-social is the best thing to be in this world; I’m just saying that if one was an antisocial person, one might find winter to be heaven on Earth. Besties are awesome, but beds will always have our hearts.

Getting Fat

Hey, locked in the house with so much food, naturally we all start to develop a little “more to love.” But that’s where all the big sweaters come in handy! In the winter, you can have a food baby and hide a food baby. You can’t do that in May, now can you? 

Ice Skating

It can be funny, awkward, and for newbies, just downright frightening, but no matter what, ice skating is always a merry (and cheap!) way to easily bond with loved ones or get closer to a date.  

Snow Days

Hands down, the best part of winter is all the snow days! When God blesses you with an entire day off, to catch up on sleep, or enjoy the fresh air for once, it’s the best feeling in the world. Better than Stranger Things, body pillows and free Chipotle combined.

I know what you’re thinking. “But wait a minute, summer break is like, a 100 snow days in a row!” And that’s kind of true. But the brilliance of a snow day is its anticipation. You never know when one is going to strike, but when you wake up to that precious UMD email, it’s as if this is Mother Nature’s way of surprising you with flowers, “just because.”

See, so much awesomeness to get hyped about! So this winter, pull yourself up by your bootstraps, throw on the Snuggie, kick up the fireplace and love your enemy. It is the golden rule, you know.