15 Quick and Easy Recipes to Fit a Healthy Lifestyle

Eating healthy in college is nearly impossible. With dining halls, countless fast food options right around the corner, not to mention the millions of pizza places that line the streets of Route 1, eating healthy can be difficult.  After a long day of classes and club meetings, heating something up in the microwave and crawling into bed sounds like a dream, but they don’t call it the “Freshman 15” for nothing, so get rid of that fantasy, go buy some cooking supplies and eat better!

Here are some delicious, good meals that all take no more than 45 minutes to make. Some are my own special creations, and other favorites I found online! All are variations of breakfast choices, snacks, smoothies, dinners, and even some desserts! All of these ingredients can be found at any local grocery store, or the Common Shop over on South Campus directly underneath the South Campus Dining Hall.

1. Sugar & Spice Kale Chips

Things you’ll need: granulated sugar, cinnamon, cayenne, and fresh kale

Instructions: Grab a handful of Kale leaves and spread them on a baking tray. Next sprinkle on 2 teaspoons of sugar and 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon, along with a pinch of cayenne. Then put in the oven for about five minutes depending on how crunchy you want them to be!

Calories: About 100

Serves: Depending on how many pieces of kale used

Start to finish: 6 minutes

Recipe from shape.com

2. Filler-up smoothie

Things you’ll need: Kale, peaches, bananas, strawberries, apples, Greek yogurt, spinach leaves, ice and chia seeds

Instructions: Blend all ingredients until it comes to a smooth liquid or whichever thickness you prefer. Using chia seeds in smoothies or any type of recipe helps fill you up more, and is a good source of protein.

Calories: About 200

Serves: 1

Start to finish: less than 7 minutes

3. Flatbread cheese pizza

Things you’ll need: tortilla, tomatoes, and either fresh mozzarella or mozzarella-grated cheese

Instructions: Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Chop up a fourth cup of tomatoes and spread them on the tortilla. If you want to add basil for an extra spicy taste, you should spread that on along with the tomatoes.  Then sprinkle on top a fourth cup of mozzarella cheese. Next, bake for about 8-10 minutes.

Calories: About 270

Serves: 1 or 2

Start to finish: 15 minutes

Recipe from shape.com

4. Almond Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Things you’ll need: Flaxseed meal, unsalted butter, brown sugar, granulated raw sugar or cane juice, pure vanilla extract, unsweetened almond butter, white whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, old-fashioned rolled oats, dark chocolate chips (unless you prefer milk chocolate)

Instructions: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Grab two baking sheets and line them with wax paper. In a small bowl, mix together3 tablespoons of flaxseed meal along with ½ cup of water. In a separate bowl, beat a stick of butter, ½ a cup of the raw granulated sugar or cane juice, 1 pack of brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract for about 3-6 minutes or until it’s fluffy. If you have an electric mixer that will cut the time in half! Add the flaxseed into the bowl, along with 1 and ¼ cup of almond butter, and a fourth cup of water until everything is mixed together. Make sure you scrape all ingredients to the middle of the bowl, rather than having it clumped to the sides! Once that’s done, add in 2 and ¼ cups of flour, ½ teaspoon of baking powder, ½ a teaspoon of baking soda, and ½ teaspoon of salt. Mix these together. Continue to scrape down the sides of your bowl so nothing gets left behind! Lastly, add in 1 and ¾ cups of oats and 1 and ½ cups of chocolate chips. Again mix this together. Use your hands to scoop out portions for your trays. Bake for about 8-10 minutes. These cookies last for about 5 days as long as they are kept covered, or put inside a container. But, could last for four months when frozen!

Calories:  About 129 calories per cookie

Serves: A whole floor of people!

Start to finish: less than 30 minutes

Recipe from shape.com

5. “Flat-Belly” Smoothie

Things you’ll need: Greek yogurt, almond butter, blueberries, pineapples, kale, water, and ice

Instructions: Blend together until smooth

Calories: About 250

Serves: 1

Start to finish: less than 7 minutes

Recipe from shape.com