10 Ways to Extend Your Summer Vacation Into the School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Though only a few weeks have passed since we all returned to College Park, some of you may already feel like it’s time for a break. As each new assignment and social event piles up, your memories of summer vacation might begin to grow more and more foggy. School, Greek life, internships, parties and all of your college priorities are definitely exciting, but everyone needs a bit of summer to last throughout the start of the school year. Every student needs some time to sit in the sun and simply reflect on their new surroundings and experiences. Here are a few ways that you can make your summer vibe stay strong while the weather outside is still warm and inviting.

1. Lay out on the mall as frequently as you can!

This idea may seem obvious, but so many people quickly walk past the mall without stopping to sit and enjoy its beauty! While the sun is still out, gather some friends and organize a picnic once a week.

2. Take a dip in the pools on (and off) campus.

The outdoor pool on campus is only open to students when it is warm outside, so do not take it for granted! Bring your friends, and take a swim in the ERC outdoor pool or visit your friends living in Terapin Row. What better way to celebrate summer than sitting by the pool?

3. Go on a hike!

If you have a car on campus, travel about an hour away and you’ll find the most beautiful hikes. Summer is all about adventure, and leaving College Park occasionally is definitely a healthy and exciting way to fulfill your wanderlust.

4. Listen to more music

Music definitely changes your environment. Blast some music while showering and have some spontaneous dance parties to brighten the mood and remind you of your carefree summer days.

5.Wear sunglasses ALL THE TIME

If you want summer to last, you have to look the part. Wearing a pair of shades as much as you possibly can will help you feel as though summer never ended. And it may even inspire those around you to wear their sunglasses more often too!

6. Put on sunscreen every day

Not only does it prevent skin cancer, but sunscreen feels and smells like summer. When I think of summer, I imagine the beach, open-toe shoes and sunscreen. Sunscreen is summer’s healthy perfume!

7. Swim in the fountain!

It may be a bit reckless, but swimming in the fountain on McKeldin Mall is a must before you graduate. Summer means being open-minded and experiencing it all, so try to cross a few things off that bucket list to keep your summer lasting all year long.

8. Eat summery foods

Make some smoothies, eat fresh fruit and drink lemonade. Keep your refrigerator stocked with all of your summer favorites to munch on at the library. The fresh taste of summer doesn’t have to leave when vacations over!

9. Wear summer clothing

Keep your flip-flops, sundresses, and shorts on until you’re absolutely freezing. Until you feel like you might develop frostbite, ditch sweaters and jeans for tanks and tees.

10. Go to concerts

The beginning of the year is filled with many concerts and music events near campus and in the Washington, D.C. area. Take advantage of Maryland’s close proximity to The District and attend as many concerts as you can before your school work and social life become too overwhelming. Dance all night at these concerts and music festivals, and you may momentarily forget that you’ve begun the school year once again.