10 Things Freshmen Need To Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Being back at the bottom of the totem pole can be worrisome. Luckily, some of your fellow (older) Terps can tame that nervousness with their words of advice.

1. Pack Light.  

“You don’t need too much stuff, a lot of it is unnecessary,” says sophomore Kaitlin O’ Dowd.

Naturally, we want to bring as much stuff as possible to make our dorm rooms feel like home. However, you’ll find out that much of it isn’t needed. Dorm rooms are not very big, so it’s important to bring essentials only.

2. Use McKeldin.

“Start using the library early. There is plenty of space to study,” says sophomore Jesse Jacobs.

Studying is essential to succeeding in college classes. Check out the library. You can find peace and quiet, or you can study with a group of friends.

3. Pursue Extracurricular Activities.

“Join a club. Find something you like,” says junior Baldwin Mugri.

Go out and find something that interests you. Getting involved brings you happiness, and completes the college experience.

4. Experiment. 

“Try different things to see what you like,” says junior Megan Yang.

It’s important to try different things. If you stick to the same activities and classes, you may miss out on opportunities to be great at something you’ve never even thought about trying.

5. Explore the world.

“Study abroad,” says senior Tawsif Siddiqui.

Although our campus is gigantic, you may get tired of seeing the same places every day. Studying abroad gives you the opportunity to travel to beautiful destinations while continuing your studies.

6. Cool it on the Netflix. 

“Stay away from screen time and socialize,” says senior Victoria Morales.

Although it may be tempting to binge watch that brand new show on Netflix, it’s important to go out and talk to people. Make going out to socialize a priority in your life at college.

7. Put in the extra effort. 

“Make sure to take advantage of office hours. It’s a great opportunity to get to know professors and T.A.’s, as well as to better understand the material,” says sophomore Ben Halperin.

You may feel awkward or uncomfortable going to see your professor or teaching assistant during office hours, but it will truly help you to do even better in your class.

8. Make college whatever you want it to be.  

“Don’t feel pressure to go along with the typical idea of college. Make your college experience your own. Individualize it,” says sophomore Aaron Seldowitz.

When you think of the typical college experience, you may think about partying or going out every night. However, you don’t have to conform to that image if you don’t want to. It’s okay to be your own person instead of following the crowd.

9. Take some risks.  

“Don’t be afraid to go for something that you want. There’s always a way to achieve it,” says sophomore Jen Milhiser.

Whether it be internships, a job or a service trip, there are always ways to achieve your goals. Don’t talk yourself out of going after something you want.

10. Leave the nest. 

“Go live off campus as soon as you can,” says sophomore Casey Reece.

Living on campus with a meal plan can be super expensive. Getting off campus can save you money in the long run and give you more opportunities to practice living on your own.

Megan Sayles

Maryland '21

Megan is a sophomore at UMD. She is a multi-platform journalism major, and is hoping to pursue social media managing in that field. Meg loves playing piano and boating. Her favorite quote is, "You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy," by C. JoyBell C.