10 Fun Things to Do Over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

University of Maryland students can count on an infamously long winter break coming up. With five weeks of freedom, there is so much that can get done. If you don’t have any plans, you should make some,  since five weeks, although it doesn’t seem too long, can go by really slowly if your only plans are hibernating in your room watching Netflix.

Check out this very important list of activities to you keep entertained while you’re wishing you were back in College Park.

1. Go on vacation: plan a vacation for you and your family! Vacations are a great way to make memories and have a great time with the people you love most. Whether it is relaxing by the pool in Florida or skiing in Colorado, you’ll be sure to have fun. Just be sure to watch out for some awesome flight deals.

2. See a Broadway show: Yeah, Broadway is amazing and there are so many hot shows to see right now–ahem, Hamilton take a trip to NYC– and enjoy a live performance. The Big Apple is only a four hour MegaBus trip away. 

3. Take a class: you can take classes online or at your local community college over break to earn credits toward graduating from Maryland. That really hard math class you’re dreading? Be proactive and get it out of the way now! It’s not too late to enroll.

4. Volunteer: Around the holidays, there are always volunteer opportunities wherever you go. Take a day or two and dedicate it to the less fortunate. You might find that you actually enjoy it and feel really good about yourself afterwards. 

5. Take a day trip with friends: pack up your car, blast your iPod, and drive somewhere you have always wanted to go but have never had time to visit. You will have fun with your friends who you haven’t seen in months and long car rides are a perfect time to catch up.

6. Go to a Maryland Basketball game: Just because this semester is over, doesn’t mean basketball season is. The Terps will continue to play games during the break, so come see one and support the team when the Xfinity Center won’t be as packed as usual.

7. Read a book: I’m sure you haven’t picked up a good book since Netflix streaming has taken over your life. Pick up a book, one you have read before or something completely new, and read every time you have the urge to watch Netflix. 

8. Learn to cook: chances are, once siblings return to school and parents return to work, you will have the house to yourself. Learn how to cook and make some new dishes. Your family will greatly appreciate your hard work and will tell you the food is delicious even if it isn’t.

9. Get a babysitting job: Since you’re still home when adults return to their jobs, they’re probably looking for someone to watch their young kids. This is a good way to kill some time, have some fun, and make some money. Ask around your neighborhood or family friends for people. 

10. Visit your UMD Friends: just like you, they will be completely bored and missing their BFFs, so road trip it to your friend’s house for an overnight where you can miss Maryland together.

Though my byline says Rebecca, I prefer to be called Becca. I am a journalism major and Spanish minor at The University of Maryland. I love to dance, I speak too loudly, and can barely make it through the day without a nap. I've been told I am very sarcastic and I know I'm shorter than everyone else. I'm a professional Snapchatter, huge dog lover, and spend most of my time rewatching TV shows I've already seen too many times on Netflix. I am funny, but not funny enough to achieve my dream of being an SNL cast member. I hope you enjoy what I have to say and if you don't, at least pretend. Follow me on social media! Twitter: @beccacohen_ Instagram: @becca_cohenblog: https://rebeccamcohen.wordpress.com/