The 10 ‘Bests’ and ‘Worsts’ of Being a College Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

I’ll never forget the first time I visited Maryland. It was the last college on my list (of thirteen colleges) to visit, and I couldn’t have been more over campus tours. I remember the heat, the massive hills, and the creepy black squirrels. 

A few short months later, when I received my acceptance letter, I decided to reconsider my previous thoughts about the school. UMD had one of the top journalism schools in the country, and it was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up.

And I’m SO glad I didn’t.

Now, almost four years later, I am a senior and will be graduating next semester. Typing this sentence definitely gives me the feels. UMD has been my home away from home for the past 7 semesters, and the past two summers. It’s the reason I am the person I am today versus the girl I was in high school. It helped me grow up, mature, and most importantly have the time of my life.

With that being said, here are the top 10- best and worst- things about being a senior at the University of Maryland, according to actual UMD seniors.

1. The Worst: You feel washed up. At this point in your life, you feel old. I’m sure you’ve noticed that your guy friends ask you more about the sophomore girls than how your day was, and internships are starting to become a thing of the past, because you need to get a real job (UGH). It’s getting harder and harder for you to rally and go out all the time, like your younger self used to be able to do. Netflix is becoming more appealing than going to the bar on a ‘Loose Tuesday.’

2. The Best: You’re the big man on campus. Or woman… But, seriously you’re a big shot. Other students look up to you. You have top priority for picking classes, and you’re most likely done with all your gen. ed. courses that don’t apply to your major whatsoever. You no longer need a campus map, and you basically know how late you can sleep in while still being on time for your 9:30 AM. 

3. The Worst: “So, what are your plans for after graduation?” AKA the worst question you can ask any senior in college. Post-graduation is the world of unknowns, especially if you’re in a “dying field” called journalism :-)  Next time someone asks you this question, just respond with “it’s a surprise!”

4. The Best: Happy Hour as a Legal Adult. Being a senior (and 21), you can go to happy hour on a Friday whenever you want. No more, running to Bentleys at noon before a bouncer gets there… 5 PM? Yeah, I’m a mature adult and that sounds like a reasonable time for some alcoholic beverages. 

5. The Worst: Your College Behavior Probably Isn’t Acceptable in the Real World.  Not saying that you act barbaric now, but theme parties and serving Ramen noodles to your friends who visit probably isn’t a thing. You’re about to be an adult. Going out 4+ nights a week just isn’t feasible when you’re out of college and (hopefully) working. Happy hour is for mingling and making connections, not taste testing every beer on draft. Basically, you’re gonna have to grow up.

6. The Best: Celebrations on celebrations. I never turn down an excuse to celebrate- especially anything related to me! When you’re a senior, not only are there several graduation parties and signs all over campus congratulating people, but there’s so many things leading up to it. How about the several bar crawls that UMD has throughout the lovely downtown of College Park? Or the gifts that we receive from our family members? Or, how we justify every aspect of senior year as “it’s our last *insert event here*.” Last spring break as an undergrad, last tailgate and football game, last first day of classes- it’s a year of lasts. This can sometimes be sad, but also enables a lot of fun to be had!

7. The Worst: Job Hunting. ‘Nuff said. This is the most stressful thing about being a senior in college. It’s even more stressful than when you were a senior in high school applying to colleges. We’re conflicted between doing something we love, or making money…and in this day in age, unfortunately, the two don’t usually go together at an entry level position. “Adulting” is tough.

8. The Best: Senior Houses. No more forced triples and random roommates. You finally have your dream house… Well, as good as it’ll get for a college student. You finally get that home-y feel versus the cramped clutter feel. 

9. The Worst: You and all your friends are going in different directions. Some of your friends may be working in the same area as you, and some may be traveling across the world, while others may be going to graduate school. Either way, you’re all going to be on different schedules. It’s sad to think that your roommate who you’ve shared a bathroom (and your entire life story) with for the past four years won’t be right next door. Little things, like your best friend waking you up at midnight, blow drying her hair after her shower, will become the stuff you’ll miss. But, it’ll be that much better when you see them again!

10. The Best: You did it! You survived four years of college at a top state school. You made it through the all-nighters at McKeldin, that super difficult statistics class, and that time your computer crashed because you accidentally spilled Redbull on it. You made friendships that will last a lifetime, survived heartbreaks, and lived through the execution of ‘kegs and eggs’ (shout-out UMPD). So, even though this is a stressful time, enjoy it while it lasts. You’ll miss it when it’s over.

My name is Meghan Moriarty. I am one of the editor-in-chief's of Her Campus Maryland.