Phillip Phillips: A Name You Won’t Forget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marshall chapter.

Singer/songwriter Phillip Phillips performed in Huntington, WV last week as part of the Marshall Artist Series, at the Keith-Albee Theatre. If you missed out on the opportunity to see the show, then I’m sorry, because he rocked it.

Phillips has spent most of the last 3 years on tour with Matchbox 20, O.A.R, superstar John Mayer, and others. Phillips also headlined his own tour this summer, continuing into this fall following his second album release, Behind the Light. Before his musical career took off, Phillips worked at the pawnshop owned by his family in Leesburg, Georgia where he was raised. He began playing guitar at age 14, thanks largely in part to his brother-in-law. Phillips tried to keep his singing to himself, but his family’s persistant encouragement led him to begin performing at local events with his band. 

Phillips caught his big break winning season 11 of American Idol with the largest number of votes ever cast on the show. He released his very first single “Home” the same day, which went on to become one of the biggest hit singles of 2012. If you haven’t heard the quadruple platinum song “Home” by now, then you probably live under a rock. The song has been featured in commercials, movies, and was even the theme song of the USA Women’s Olympic Gymnastics team in the London 2012 Summer Olympics. The song was a single off of his first album, The World from the Side of the Moon, which was a platinum selling album that was released in November 2012, and quickly climbed to #4 on the Billboard Top 200 Album chart. The album also includes the platinum single “Gone, Gone, Gone” and many other songs that capture Phillip’s raspy, authentic voice that melts you in your seat.

Phillips swooned the theatre last Monday with his sultry guitar playing and rich voice. The band Saints of Valory opened up the show with refreshing vocals and upbeat songs that got the crowd exited. The entire show was a hit with Phillips performing songs from both of his albums, but the highlight of the night was when Phillips took everyone by surprise with a cover of “Lollipop” by Lil Wayne. He also went on to sing renditions of “Just Lose It” by Eminem, and “All I Do is Win” by DJ Khaled. The energy and vibe that Phillips filled the room with was as unforgettable as the performance itself. I know I can’t wait to see what the future holds for this incredibly talented artist.

So, after seeing, or just hearing about the show, I hope that you are all now as obsessed with Phillip Phillips as I am. If you haven’t checked out Phillips’ Behind The Light album yet, you definitely should. Download it now, and thank me later. 

Junior at Marshall University majoring in elementary education. Lover of animals, coffee, and Christmas socks.