Marriage Equality Comes to West Virginia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marshall chapter.

“According to The Williams Institute’s analysis of the 2010 U.S. Census, 2,848 same-sex couples are living in West Virginia, representing 3.7 same-sex couples per 1,000 households.” On October 9, 2014 same sex marriage became legal in West Virginia. Cabell County Courthouse, in our very own Huntington, has made history being the first location a same sex wedding ceremony was given in the state of West Virginia. Cassie McGee and Sarah Adkins were issued a marriage license, then proceeded to be married in front of the courthouse. Couples Will Glavaris and Justin Murdock were also married in Cabell County, while Christ Bostic and David Epp were married in Kanawha County. In 2000 West Virginia passed a state statute prohibiting same-sex couples to marry. On October 1, 2013, Lambda Legal, backed by Fairness West Virginia, worked with three couples to sue the state and bring marriage equality to West Virginia.  The lawsuit argued the couples’ fundamental constitution right to marry was being violated and they were not being treated as equals under the law. The suit aimed to have the statute issued in 2000 banning same-sex marriage to be struck down. West Virginia is now being one of the 32 states supporting marriage equality! Her Campus would like to send a congratulations to all of those who have or are getting married! 

For more information, visit Freedom to Marry’s website here

Rachel is a biology major at Marshall University. She likes red lipstick and drinks a minimum of 3 cups of coffee a day.