This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marshall chapter.

We’ve done it fellow collegiettes. We have (almost) made it to fall break. A week off from the stresses of your daily routine, often filled with endless classes that leave no time in the day to just relax. This is, however, a crucial time, that although you may let your studies for the time being go lax, not to let all of your hard work at the Rec Center go in vain. This Thanksgiving, remember the average American will gain one pound, about 3500 calories. In order to keep you feeling great and not-so-bloated the morning after, here are some helpful tips:

• Start off your day with a morning walk or run. You’ll burn up to 350 calories, the equivalent to a slice of pie.
  • Remember to eat a filling breakfast! Do not let your Thanksgiving meal be your first meal of the day, you will overeat.
  • Stay hydrated with water, or if you’re in the mood for something with a little more flavor, opt for unsweetened tea or coffee.
  • While you are around friends and family, you are likely to eat up to 50% more than you would alone. Be conscience of what you are eating, even if it is tempting to go for a second heaping of mashed potatoes.
  • On that note, eat slowly and again, be aware of what you are eating. Don’t unconsciously begin the trend of picking food off of your plate and going straight for your mouth. Savor each bite, try setting your fork down and chewing, placing your hands in your lap or simply on the table.
  • The “Three-quarter rule,” Fill your plate three quarters full of lower calorie foods (think salad, vegetables, turkey) and one-fourth full of high calorie foods such as mashed potatoes and stuffing.
  • Go shopping on Black Friday! Walking around the mall for 3 hours can burn 360 calories, 2 servings of stuffing.

Have a happy, healthy holiday! 

*sources used: http://www.marieclaire.com/health-fitness/news/holiday-eat-pigout

Rachel is a biology major at Marshall University. She likes red lipstick and drinks a minimum of 3 cups of coffee a day.