Fifty Shades of Confusion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marshall chapter.

Fifty Shades of Confusion

An opinion piece on Fifty Shades of Grey

In 2011, E.L. James released the first novel in her Fifty Shades series that became an immensely popular book for women. Now, 2015 and Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele are household names. The movie was released this past weekend – but not without its share of controversy. For those on social media sites such as Facebook or Twitter, you have probably witnessed your newsfeeds and timeless filled with countless opinions toward the newly released film.

Although it’s been nearly four years since the release of Fifty Shades of Grey, the conversations about this book and it’s incredibly sexual nature has not died down.  With the explicit sex scenes and detailed erotic depiction of BDSM (a variety of erotic practices involving dominance and submission, roleplaying and restraint,) the book, and now film, has caused quite an uproar among many groups of people.

While Ana Steele, the protagonist, gets a constant reassurance from her “inner goddess” throughout Fifty Shades, giving her a mental pat on the back for her sexual deeds with Christian Grey, feminist readers most likely experienced disgust during these moments. Meek, even-tempered Steele has the façade of a strong, independent female lead. However, throughout the book she is submissive to the unusual desires of a man who she finds incredibly good-looking (this is reiterated in almost every chapter.) Steele portrays low self-esteem and lack of self-sufficiency throughout this novel – not at all the characteristics of a strong, female lead.

The book also seems to glorify abusive relationships. While Steele discusses the terms of their “relationship” with Grey, she still seems quite passive when it comes to her own wants and gives in because of who this man is. Grey is possessive, monitoring Steele’s meals, as well as most other aspects of her life. Maybe this was meant to come across as protective, but it’s this controlling behavior that raises red flags when it comes to the issue of an abusive relationship between the characters. Grey attempts to control every aspect of Steele’s life – from the birth control she uses to the car she drives – it’s not just the BDSM that has the public up in arms, but Grey’s possessive behavior toward Steele.

While I do not think that these were the intensions of James when writing the Fifty Shades series, many aspects of the book, and now film, do portray these issues. Of course, with any novel or movie, readers and viewers must use their own judgment and discretion. This is not a “boycott Fifty Shades of Grey” blog, but an insight to things fans may have missed because of all the hype.

Although I do plan on seeing the movie, mainly because I share the last name of the female lead and cannot wait to hear “Miss Steele” roll off the lips of Jamie Dornan (Christian Grey,) I can’t say I agree with what it stands for. As a feminist, I want to shake the character of Ana Steele and tell her she has much more potential than being a sex-slave to Christian Grey – but then I remember that these are fictitious characters. So, for you young, independent women living in the real world, remember: do what makes you happy; whether that’s boycotting the film and novel all together or being its number one fan.

My name is Andrea and I'm a senior journalism major at Marshall University! My interests range from photography, to drinking LOTS of coffee, to just hanging out at my apartment with my dog, Louie.