This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marshall chapter.

Casey Hudock is the resident adviser for the Honors College floor in Freshman North. A native of Ohio, Casey is an exercise science major with an emphasis on clinical exercise physiology, minoring in psychology. After gaining her undergraduate degree, she aspires to going on to graduate school and getting her doctorate in physical therapy. Even when she is busy with her numerous extracurricular activities, she still finds time to talk and bond with her residents!

(Casey is third from left)

Her Campus: What is your favorite thing about being a resident advisor?

Casey Hudock: My favorite part about being a resident advisor is getting to interact with many types of people.  I love talking to residents and learning about what is going on in their lives now and about the different experiences that they have had.  It’s really awesome when residents open up to me and make an effort to come talk to me on their own.  Sometimes, it takes me a while just to get off of my wing because residents like to stop and talk to me.  I also really enjoy being a role model to freshman.  I really try to be someone that my residents look up to and feel comfortable coming to with questions or problems, and I like knowing that I can always make a positive difference in someone’s day just by smiling and saying hi” or asking them how they are doing.

HC: What are you involved in?

CH: I am a member of the Honors College and of pre-physical therapy club.  I am also on a collateral that writes the section of the monthly Residence Hall newsletter for the First Year halls.  In my free time, I like to run, whether it be a 5K or just at the rec center, and spend time with my friends and family. I am also a huge fan of Grey’s Anatomy and New Girl.

HC: What made you decide to be an RA?

CH: I decided to become an RA because one of my greatest passions in life has always been helping others. Throughout high school, and especially my senior year, I served as a peer mentor in many different forms.  I have been a peer mentor for special needs students, new students, and as a member of the Varsity cheerleading squad, I was a mentor for the incoming freshman cheerleaders.  I always have enjoyed being a role model and having other students look up to me and come to me for advice and help.  I learned so much during my first year at Marshall, and I wanted to be able to share my knowledge and experiences with others.

Because of my experiences mentoring students, I was really interested in working with freshman.  It sounds cheesy, but I truly believe that students in their first year of college are really trying to figure out who they are and what they believe.  When I came to Marshall as a freshman, I did not know anyone here.  Huntington is also quite different than my hometown of Dublin, Ohio, a suburb of Columbus.  I learned a lot about myself, life, and being an adult during my first year.  I really enjoy watching and guiding my first year residents as they make that transition themselves.

HC: Fun facts about yourself?

CH: I have three sisters and two golden retrievers, I love black raspberry chip ice cream, I graduated high school as a Valedictorian, and I am a National AP Scholar.

HC: What is one thing you hope to achieve before graduating from Marshall?

CH: Before I leave Marshall, I hope to continue to make connections with the faculty and students here.  I would like to use these connections to help me continue to succeed academically and to achieve my dream of attending physical therapy school. 

HC: Main reason for choosing Marshall?

CH: I first heard about Marshall University through a family friend.  When I came on a college visit here, Marshall was the only university that I visited that did not make me scared out of my mind to take this next step in my life.  All of the staff were so friendly, and the university just seemed “homey.”  I love that Marshall is a smaller university but still has all the resources of a bigger one.  I also love that the class sizes are relatively small, even in the big lecture halls.  I would definitely say that choosing to come to Marshall was one of the best decisions that I have ever made, and I couldn’t be happier here.

Rachel is a biology major at Marshall University. She likes red lipstick and drinks a minimum of 3 cups of coffee a day.