Campus Celebrity: Kyle Rheude

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marshall chapter.

We all aspire to help out our campus and school, but Kyle Rheude, a junior nursing student, has perfected what being involved means.  Not only does he remain active in various organizations,  Kyle even leads others to meet their goals.  I had the privilege of interviewing him for this week’s Campus Celeb and he definitely deserves it. From running in Relay for Life to being the president of the local Marshall event last year, Kyle has helped out dozens of people and that is truly amazing. He is a sincere and devoted son of Marshall who brings forth great leadership. Keep it up Kyle!

Name: Kyle Rheude

Year: Junior

Hometown: Cincinnati, Ohio

Major: Nursing

Minor: Psychology 

Favorite thing about MU: Nov. 14th because there is nothing like it in the world. The entire university, no matter the race, religion, or class, comes together to remember our past. The moment is solemn but the impact is incredible. Every Nov. 14th, I’m proud to be a Son of Marshall!

Favorite memory at MU: Announcing at the Keith Albee Center that Relay for Life broke the record and raised over $30K.

Favorite place to eat: Fat Patty’s!

Favorite movie: Dark Night Trilogy

Hero/Role Model: I don’t know if I have one. My family members have been really great influences on me but in different ways, so I’d have to say all of them as a whole.

HC: If you could eat dinner with anyone, who would you pick and why?  

KR: Mat Kearney. His music helped me through several difficult times in my life. One time, I got to pray with him after a concert in Cincinnati at his tour bus. I’d love to sit down with him and thank him for his music and influences.

HC: What student organizations are you involved in? 

KR: I was the President of Colleges Against Cancer, which was in charge of the Coaches Vs. Cancer Basketball game, and Relay for Life. I’m a brother of Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity and was the Philanthropy Director. I’m also an RA for the Greek LLC in Haymaker hall.

HC: What sparked your interest and involvement with Relay for Life? 

KR: My freshman year, I lost my dear friend and grandfather figure to brain cancer. After that, I got my fraternity involved in Relay for Life and then the position was passed down to me. We set a record setting $33,000 for the American Cancer Society last year (AMAZING!).

HC: How has your time in these organizations and at Marshall shaped you as a person?

KR: Oh my goodness, I’ve grown as a leader exponentially. The Colleges Against Cancer taught me leadership and the ability to collaborate with others for a common purpose and goal. It also taught me that no matter what you do, even if it is raising 33K for cancer patients, remarkably someone isn’t going to like you (haha). I’ve learned to accept that and try to move on. Being an RA taught me a lot about my people skills and working with others. I have dealt with some pretty intense situations and people, and it’s not always easy. But, there are times where you can make a resident’s day or help them somehow. That’s what makes being an RA worth it. It’s never about the busted parties. It’s all about building community and being there for residents when they need you most.

HC: Okay, as a native Ohio Buckeye, what’s your take on WV? 

KR: West Virginia is very local. I’m from Cincinnati where it’s a big city and everyone establishes where they are from by the high school they graduated from. Here in West Virginia, it’s based on what county you are from. I’m about as city as it gets so being here is a bit of a culture shock… but I love it! I love Huntington because it’s a city that can stand on it’s own, but wraps its arms around Marshall. In doing so, the university brings so much good to this place. It’s incredible and it’s a place where anyone can make a name for themselves… if they work hard enough.