This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marshall chapter.

As many of you know, this past Saturday, October 11, was Marshall’s Homecoming. The day began with the annual parade down 4th and 5th avenues and alumni could be seen around every corner. Despite the dreary weather, lots of students, parents, kids, and the like came down to watch the parade and eventually cheer on the Herd to yet another victory. 

During the game against Middle Tennessee, a few big announcements were made. The half-time show involved games on the field, presentation of organization awards (Thunder Cup and parade float winners), and the crowning of our new Mr. and Miss Marshall, Cam Lyons and Morgan Wright. The competition was high for Mr. and Miss Marshall this year, and I want to publicly congratulate those on the court, as well as the winners, because everyone put forth exceptional effort to win the title. 

(Cam Lyons and Morgan Wright excitedly smile after being crowned. Photo courtesy TJ Lawhon)

(Taylor Watts and Paige Dodrill accept the first place float award for their sorority and helping fraternity, Alpha Xi Delta and Pi Kappa Alpha.)

Aside from the normal homecoming festivities at the game, there was an even bigger announcement made, one that I am personally very excited for. On April 25, 2015, Marshall University will host the first ever Fest! Fest will be a non-stop, 12-hour, music festival at Ritter Park and will host over 20 artists during the day. There will be food and beverage vendors, inflatables, and lots of stuff to do. Thanks to Student Activities and Campus Activities Board, acts such as Branches, Colour of London, The Madison Letter, and, wait for it… THE YING YANG TWINS will be performing. Talk about a throwback.

We here at Her Campus Marshall hope you’ll be in attendance at Fest in April. Be sure to keep an eye out for more acts being announced!

Mallory Norton is a business management major at Marshall University. She is the co-founder of Her Campus Marshall. She enjoys horse back riding, brownies, and her beautiful city of Huntington.