This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marshall chapter.

Greek Week. The phrase that sends chills into a Greek life member’s body. We all have a love/hate relationship with this week. From countless injuries to all of the amazing memories with our sisters or brothers, we always look forward to this week no matter what. I mean, it’s a week dedicated to us! Of course we love it. 

Here are just a few of the reasons why Greek Week is the best:

1. You get to spend so much more time with your sisters/brothers.

This is a biggie. Greek Week hosts so many events that if there are sisters or brothers that you never get to see, this is the week for you to see them! Almost everyone comes out to support or participate, so there’s a very good chance you’ll see everyone you ever wanted to (or don’t want to).

2. Competition. Everyone loves it.

Friendly competition, that is! This is the one week where it’s okay to say you’re better than another chapter, because well, you beat them in a sport. A little healthy competition never hurt anybody. 

3. Cheering on your favorite fraternity when they win.

Let’s be honest here: every sorority girl has a favorite fraternity. This is the perfect time to show them how much you love them! You love cheering for them in front of everyone to make it known that they are the best in your eyes.

4. Beating your rival sorority.

Another honest moment here: every chapter has a rival sorority on their campus. It’s inevitable. Beating them is an amazing feeling, especially if they’ve always won one certain thing! They will dislike you, and you will prosper. Enjoy it.

5. New sorority apparel. Sisters always have to match!

Every sorority girl’s dream come true: new clothes! Greek Week is the perfect time for new clothes because, seriously, who wants to be the sorority that doesn’t match on the volleyball court? Not us! It’s the perfect time to show off how cute your chapter can be, too!

6. Chants. There’s never a wrong time for a sorority chant!

If you win an event and your cheering section didn’t do a chant, did you actually even win?

7. GREEK SING.

Does this even need an explanation? Greek Sing is months of hard work and practices finally paying off. Getting on that stage in front of everyone and giving that routine everything you have is the perfect ending event to this crazy, hectic week!

8. Regardless of award outcomes, celebrating with every Greek when it’s all over is priceless.

Not every sorority, individual or advisor will receive an award when the week is over, and that’s okay. Because no matter who wins, everyone will still be celebrating (together) that the longest and craziest week of their lives is now over. Cheers to that, everybody!