Why We Deserve More Than Just “Me too”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Why We Deserve More Than Just “Me too”

Today, I am tired of being a girl.

I am tired of the lack of female heroes saving the day in dark movie theaters without them donned in skin tight mini skirts. 

I am tired of a man sitting behind the doors to the Oval Office who has flirted with the idea of sexual assault and chuckled at “locker room talk.” I am tired of feeling sick to my stomach each time I hear “Me too” coming from someone’s mouth, the resounding words leaving me feeling helpless and disturbed.

According to the National Sexual Violence Research Center, one in five women are raped in their lifetime. The same statistic holds true for female college students, a place fostering academic growth and independence. To me, the scariest part about those statistics is the fact that a victim could be your neighbor, your classmate, or someone you do not take a second look at hurrying to class. 

These individual victims are struggling to stay afloat. They may be dealing with that paper in philosophy, an audition for an upcoming play, and an overwhelming internship. At the same time, they have scars that cannot be erased in a long, hot shower – they have baggage that does not go away after a week, a month, or even a year. The “Me Too” Campaign began after Harvey Weinstein was accused of sexual assault by various actresses. Even since then, these simple words have become a unifying call for so many.

With unity, comes strength. And with strength comes support and a push for change in a broken world thirsting for respect and safety for all. But is this unity enough to keep me safe?

I would like to challenge you to think about the issue of sexual assault in a different light.  It is time to teach the boys of our generation how to show respect. It is time to create role models they can look up to and realize that women are people with emotions, perspectives, and unique gifts to offer the world. Yet, men are held to certain standards. From the moment they are introduced to society, they are expected to fit into a specific mold. They play with trains, are thrown into sports, and are taught that crying is considered weak and unmanly. And as they mature and grow older, the trends deepen and solidify. These men are taught that hookups are considered badges of honor, and “locker room talk” is normal and glorified. How can we change this? 

Boys need to be taught about sexual assault from an early age. Parents, educators, and role models also have a job – to break the rigid boxes of gender. These labels usher in false misconceptions about how boys should act and think. These misconceptions are furthered by the media. Suddenly, boys see sexualized women on magazine covers, half-naked girls in movies, paired with strong, powerful men taking advantage of these “damsels in distress.” Amidst these permeating images, there must be someone to exemplify someone different. How about a macho man who loves to cook and does not sleep around? This role model could manifest itself in a father, a brother, or a celebrity – anyone who pushes for equality and sees women as people. These men will eventually become our senators. Our doctors. Our professors. Let’s ensure our future is made up of motivated, respectful people who will better our world in more ways than one. 

So, as the thermostat begins to drop, two simple words should accompany the “Me Too” campaign: Don’t rape. And it is as simple as that. Let’s keep fighting. Here’s to the girls (and boys) out there who will not be let these acts of indecency go unnoticed. Whether this fighting be against a perpetrator, who needs to learn the characteristics of respect and the definition of no, or to anyone who makes you believe you are inferior. 

You deserve better.

I am a freshman at Marquette University, majoring in political science and journalism. I am from Oak Park, which is a suburb of Chicago, and am so excited to be writing for Her Campus!
Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy