Why are the 2018 Midterm Elections so important?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Unless you make an active effort to not concern yourself with political matters, or you genuinely just don’t care, then you should already know about the upcoming Midterm Elections and why it’s so important. But in case you’re unsure of why everyone’s talking about it, or you just need a little reminder of its significance, here are three reasons as to why young people should get out and vote on November 6th.

1. It’s Your Chance to Have a Voice Whether you’re against Trump or love his policies, the upcoming midterm elections give people a chance to weigh in on the current administration. It’s a big year for governors, as well as senators and representatives. These people are the ones that are supposed to represent us, so wouldn’t you be eager to elect the ones who are most aligned with your views?

2. An Opportunity to Become Politically Active Young people are becoming very politically active as of recent and are fighting to have their voices heard. This could be a chance for you to emerge yourself into politics, and what’s going on in this country right now.

3. This Could Make or Break Upcoming Policies Issues such as health care, abortion, immigration, and LGBTQ rights are on a lot of people’s minds right now. Your take on these topics could be reflected in your vote on November 6th. A win for Democrats or for Republicans could impact policies in the upcoming years immensely.

It’s obvious that the voter registration deadline has passed for a majority of states, but these reasons could go a long way for those who are already registered but have other things on their mind. Or if you’re not registered, be sure to let other people know of the importance of the Midterm Elections. To become politically active and to have your voice be heard, that’s what citizenship is all about.

Zahra Jazayeri

Marquette '22

Political Science & International Affairs major at Marquette University
Emma McDevitt

Marquette '20

Hello, I am Emma McDevitt! I am a Junior at Marquette University and studying Marketing & Advertising.