Weekend Warrior: Ten Songs to Help You Get Over A Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

10 Empowering Songs to Help You Get Over a Break-Up

I was recently in a break-up and these songs really helped me get through the initial blow. Hope they help you too!

• (What Doesn’t Kill You) Stronger- Kelly Clarkson

This was my ultimate go-to song after my break up. It gets you pumped up and gives you hope again. Yeah, break ups suck, but being able to cope with them in a healthy manner and moving on with your life shows strength. 

• We are Never Ever Getting Back Together- Taylor Swift

Love this song because she is finally taking a stand and telling him to buzz off. If you are in an on-and-off relationship, it is not working out for a reason-you just have to come to accept those reasons and move on- if it is meant to be, everything will work itself out.

• Irreplaceable- Beyoncé

This is such a strong, women-empowered song. You are beautiful and a great catch, it is his loss for letting you go. Don’t take the break up too hard, he’s replaceable, you can find a much better guy that will treat you much better than your last. 

• Over You- Daughtry

Great song to look back and see that the relationship was coming to an end anyway. Maybe it should have ended a little sooner, after looking back. Getting over someone is hard, especially if you did not see it coming, but once you do, you’ll feel a weight on your shoulders just disappear and the whole world looks brighter again. 

• Forget You- Cee Lo Green

If you just got over a break up with a boy that didn’t show you any respect, this is a great song to just say forget you, loser! It’s ultimately his problem for letting you go. 

• Survivor-Destiny’s Child

This is another song that shows you how strong you are. You are so much better without him anyway. You are the bigger person and are going to take the breakup maturely. You are a survivor and do not need a man to keep you going. 

• Payphone-Maroon Five

This song helps you face reality and accept the terms of the breakup. You can’t predict what is going to happen in the future, but sometimes the thing you did not expect is what you really wanted after all. Stop trying to figure out where you are going and enjoy where you are at.

• Pictures to Burn- Taylor Swift

You can feel really down after some break ups and sometimes all you want to do is show him how much better you are without him. That is the best revenge you can get on him. A good first step in letting go is getting rid of those small reminders of him, like pictures. Getting rid of those pictures will empower you and help you on the road to moving on. 

• Don’t Want You Back – Backstreet Boys

Who doesn’t like the Backstreet Boys? Similar to Taylor Swift’s song, you need to take a strong stand and say that you don’t want him back. Your life is so much better without him. 

• Single Ladies- Beyoncé

This song just gets me pumped up. People always get so down about being “single.” Being single is great though, you have so much more freedom and can flirt with any guy you see. There is a whole ocean of fish out there-go start fishing. The biggest mistake a guy can make is letting another guy make you smile. 

I am a junior studying biomedical sciences and physical therapy at Marquette University.  I enjoy doing recreational sports and am currently training for a triathlon. I also enjoy volunteering for various organizations on campus and maintain a steady job at the dining hall. My hobbies are traveling, playing sports, trying new food, hanging out with friends, and watching movies. 
Hannah McCarthy is a junior studying Broadcasting and Electronic Communication at Marquette University. She is currently the News Director at Marquette Radio. Hannah calls Cincinnati, OH home. In her free time, Hannah obsesses over Public Radio and hopes to be a news reporter after she graduates.