Weekend Warrior: Before It Snows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Wisconsin is notorious for its snow, which can stay from Thanksgiving to St. Patrick’s Day. Say what you will about winter, but there are just some thing better done when you can still see grass. Here’s HCMU’s short but sweet list of things to do before we’re hit by another Snowpocalypse. 

Go to the Zoo – The Zoo is open all winter, but most animals don’t appreciate a Winter Wonderland like we do. Stop by one of the Zoo’s free Saturdays before all the animals go into hiding. Unless you only go to see the penguins, in which case you’re good to go! 

Go Shopping – Every collegiette knows that shopping is acceptable come rain, shine or driving snow. However, there are few winter essentials you should have before the first snowfall. Don’t get caught without warm boots and a heavy coat. This is a rookie mistake, as a typical North Face and Uggs are no match for the might of a Milwaukee winter. Also, remember that Bay Shore is an outdoor mall! 

Pack A Picnic – Enjoy the outdoors before it snows by packing a picnic lunch. Stop by the Public Market before you head down to the beach. Make sure you bring a warm blanket and good company. This is a great way to soak up some sun and fight the impending winter blues. 

Stock Up – Make sure you have an ample supply of soup and hot cocoa mix. You’ll be hungry after the first snowball fight of the year, and won’t want to run to the grocery to get these things. 

A Night On The Town – Grab your girls and head out for drinks or dancing, because you won’t want to when there’s feet of snow on the ground. It’s much more fun to wear a cute dress and heels when you aren’t freezing. Plus, after hibernating on the couch with movies and popcorn all winter, you’ll be craving evenings out when spring rolls around. 

Hannah McCarthy is a junior studying Broadcasting and Electronic Communication at Marquette University. She is currently the News Director at Marquette Radio. Hannah calls Cincinnati, OH home. In her free time, Hannah obsesses over Public Radio and hopes to be a news reporter after she graduates.