david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

5 spooky songs to check out as we “fall into” October!

Halloween has been my favorite holiday for as long as I can remember. Growing up, I was the girl with the craziest, most obscure costumes; I remember dressing as a mime for class’s Halloween party in second grade and coming to school in full face paint, black nylon suspenders, and tiny white gloves that I refused to take off (which my teacher loved, of course). Naturally, I was also a hardcore trick-or-treater, racing home as soon as the dismissal bell rang so I could start mercilessly ringing every doorbell on the block by 4 pm and staying out until my mother begged me to come home.

Although I’ve grown out of cat ears and candy-filled pillowcases, my love for October 31st persists today. In fact, I believe it has grown a bit stronger; I now associate the entire month of October with slasher movies and the Shining, haunted hayrides and all the “hocus pocus” of Halloween parties. I have also developed a love for Halloween-themed music, going beyond contemporary classics like “Monster Mash” and “Thriller” and into the realm of alternative, goth, and other spooky sounds. That being said, I want everyone to be as hyped up for the Halloween season as I am, so here are my top 5 favorite Halloween songs!

1) “Zombie” – The Cranberries

This is one of my all-time favorite songs – I love how it builds in intensity up until the chorus, where the hardcore, guitar notes and drumbeats and Dolores O’Riordan’s raspy croon accumulate in a perfect, grunge-rock storm. This song is perfect for the Halloween season not just because of its lyrics (which focus on a metaphorical zombie attacking the O’Riordan’s mind), but also because of this intensity (her voice kind of “creeps in”, producing sort of a spooky effect).

2) “Everyday Is Halloween” – Ministry

Although goth in nature, this song is a perfect “pump-up” song, with its electronic, cool-toned beats growing more energetic as the song progresses. The lyrics are very Halloween-focused, as they speak of a world where (as the song’s title suggest) every day is “like Halloween”, and Al Jourgensen’s creepy cries make it sound even eerier.

3) “Witchy Woman” – Eagles

This song is a classic when it comes to Halloween-themed tracks – I’ve honestly never seen a Halloween playlist without it! The ampy guitar and fun, unconventional lyrics make this song a perfect addition to your Halloween party mix (it’s sure to get everyone excited!).

4) “Somebody’s Watching Me” – Rockwell

No Halloween playlist is complete without a little MJ! Actually, a compilation of some of Michael Jackson’s most popular, Halloween-centered songs came out a couple of years ago (entitled “Scream”), including all the King of Pop’s spookiest, most upbeat songs (from well-known classics, like “Thriller” and “Blood on the Dance Floor”, to lesser-known gems, such as “Dangerous” and “Ghosts”).

5) “The Addams Family – Main Theme” – Vic Mizzy

I almost feel like this one speaks for itself! This song always gets me excited about Halloween, just because everyone knows the classic dadadada *snap *snap* rhythm definitive of the song, and it makes me very nostalgic for all the times I celebrated Halloween growing up (my parents always played this whenever they were handing out candy).

Katie Breck

Marquette '22

Hi! My name is Katie Breck, and I am double Writing-Intensive English & Philosophy major on the Pre-Law Track, originally from the Aurora/Naperville area in Illinois. I am a part of Pi Beta Phi. Marquette's Saoirse Irish Dance Team, and Camp Kesem; I also love listening to music (send me your playlists!), coffee, scrunchies, and hanging out with my friends/family.
i write sometimes, check it out!