This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Budgeting in college can be tough – especially when you’ve got a makeup addiction to feed. In high school, I was frivolous with my money; it didn’t matter that my foundation cost $39. I wanted to look dewy, damn it, and I was going to work 6 hours at my part-time job to do so. However, a few months before I left for Marquette, I realized that an expensive makeup routine just wasn’t in my broke-college-student future, no matter how much I wished it could be. After some extensive YouTube-based research and testing a lot of drugstore products on my face, I bring you my best budget-friendly makeup items. Here are my top five under $6.

1. Maybelline Fit Me Foundation

Foundation is the one product that can break the bank faster than you anticipate. Maybelline Fit Me is the perfect solution to this problem, as it comes in two finishes that accommodate both oily and dry skin and costs only $5.94 at Walmart. The shade range is impressive for a drugstore product, including over 40 different skin tones! I’ve used this product for almost a year now, and I can say with confidence that it wears well if you set it with powder, offers a medium coverage, and simultaneously satisfies my bank account.

2. Nyx Butter Glosses

Liquid lipstick was fun for a while, but sometimes I just want some shine. I’ve tested tons of different drugstore lip glosses, and the majority of them are sticky, not particularly moisturizing, taste weird, or just don’t last. NYX Butter Glosses cost only $4.44 at Walmart, and with thirteen shades to choose from, there’s something for everyone. They aren’t too opaque, they are really moisturizing, and they last up to three or four hours before you need to reapply. Score.

3. e.l.f Camo Concealer

I was skeptical about this concealer when I heard it was a dupe for Tarte’s Shape Tape, and then I tried it. This concealer has crazy coverage, so if that’s not what you’re looking for, I’d steer clear. However, if you want to cover up the fact that you’ve only slept three hours in the past four days studying for midterms, this $6 concealer comes in eighteen super opaque shades.

4. Coty Airspun Loose Powder

Coty Airspun, up until recently, was one of the only options for a loose powder at the drugstore. Admittedly, I haven’t even tried the other ones, because this one has been my tried-and-true for the last few years. I use it to bake my under eyes and to set my neck, and I swear I could wear my foundation for two days straight with this stuff on top. It’s only $5.97 and comes in a few different shade options. My only recommendation is to get it in the unscented version, though, unless you want to choke on the scent of perfume while you get ready.

5. Essence Lash Princess Mascara

This $4.99 mascara packs a punch. There are a few different formulas to choose from, and honestly, they’re all fabulous. I don’t know where this mascara has been all my life (or at least when I was spending upwards of $20 on Better Than Sex from Too Faced. Never again.) but I’m glad I found it. Plus, you can get it prime delivered from Amazon!

Hi! I’m Morgan, a freshman at Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin studying corporate communications. I am originally from Appleton, Wisconsin. I love to write and I have tons of passion for makeup, fashion, music, coffee and my friends.
i write sometimes, check it out!