Wellness > Sex + Relationships

These are the 7 Types of Love you Could Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

According to Greek mythology, there are 7 types of love humans experience. The cumulative list is drawn from readings of the classics especially of Plato and Aristotle, and on J.A. Lee’s 1973 book Colours of Love. Love is everything, love cures everything, love is life. You’ve heard this spread and have experienced love in many ways. Considering the claims of Plato, love aims at beautiful and good things, and possession of such is happiness. Inputting your happiness into one thing will not bring you true happiness, if the condition is to aim towards the beautiful and good, which will not always remain one thing in the fast paced, ever-changing environment we exist in. That’s why knowing the types of love helps organize the need for your happiness and dependable relationships for a balance.

1. Eros

Eros is the sexual or passionate love, essentially the modern construct of romantic love. This is the kind of love that can be blinding as a biological process of survival and reproduction. Greek myth portrays it as a form of madness brought upon being struck by Cupid’s arrow, which is strictly contrasted to Logos or Reason. 

2. Philia

Philia, or friendship, is shared goodwill. Aristotle held three justifications for sharing goodwill with another: that they are useful; that they are pleasant; and, above all, that they’re rational and virtuous. Meaning that the mutual benefit must be comprised of companionship, dependability, and trust. The philosophical perspective is that philia transforms the eros from a lust for possession into a higher level of understanding of the self, of the other, and world holistically with an impulse for philosophy.

3. Storge

Storge is the familial love between parents and their children. This distinct kind of love does not hang on our personal qualities such as eros and philia. Obviously with time, eros mutates into storge. 

4. Agape

Agape is the universal love we can conceptualize as charity, or the modern concept of altruism (unselfish concern for the welfare of others). Studies have linked altruism with certain chemical benefits, such as the euphoric ‘helper’s high.’ Agape is the exemplary signal of cooperative intentions needed in this height of anger and division. It could be used at the general psychological, social, and environmental realms that sustain and enrich us.

5. Ludus

Ludus is the fun, playful, or uncommitted love. Yet, they can be very long lasting despite the term “no-strings attached” being the main component in the activities. They are very casual, so it demands maturity and self-sufficiency from the individuals. Although it seems eros is the pursuit, ludus is more compatible with philia.

6. Pragma

Pragma is practical love with foundations in duty or reason, or one’s longer-term interests. One would stay in this relationship of out of compatibility, shared goals, and making it work. It would be the underlying reason for an arranged marriage. It can co-exist with ludus, and can combine with eros or ludus.

7. Philautia

Philautia is self-love. Although it can be seen as unhealthy and selfish, I think we could use a little more self love to see and exert the necessary kinds of love towards others. The main distinction between an unhealthy and healthy self-love is arrogance and inflated sense of self. A healthy self love will reflect in the matrix which we act, feel, and think about in reflection of our relation to the world. It is the sense of self-awareness that cultivates resilience, growth experience, tolerance in relationships, risk taking confidence, joy and delight in life, and being able to exert forgiveness upon ourselves and others.

Considering these 7 types of love, a balance of life and love will help ease loneliness in life, as Plato is quoted

He whom love touches not walks in darkness.

Daisy Hernandez

Marquette '21

First generation Latina from Chicago. Junior with the intended majors of Sociology, Political Science, Peace Studies and a minor in Spanish. I love lounging by the lake, drinking some coffee and discussing some facts