This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Then and Now

They say a lot can change in the blink of an eye. Whoever “they” are, well, they’re right. Being halfway through second semester of my freshman year in college has flown by so fast, and yet so much has changed without even realizing it. Looking back at my first night sleeping in my new dorm, I never in a million years thought that I would be sitting here today writing this article, and being truly content with the months that I’ve spent on campus. College in itself is full of new places, people, hobbies, and opportunities, but you never really realize how different you have become after living on your own until you take the time to reflect on the things you’ve accomplished and the lifestyle changes you have made. 

For me, coming into college without my two high school best friends was a major adjustment. I knew our friendship was special and could never be replaced. Right off the bat I distanced myself from friendly individuals that I must hoping that my hometown best friends would be doing the same. It wasn’t until I opened up to girls on my floor, students in my classes, people in my extracurriculars, my new sorority sisters, and even my roommate, that I started to make meaningful friendships in a short amount of time. If you think about it, college friends are weird. You could feel like you knew them your whole life, without even knowing simple details about their life like their siblings. Hometown friends are also weird. You could enjoy spending time with their mom, dad, brother, sister, or pet more than actually hanging out with them. All friends are weird, but college friends don’t replace your hometown friends, they simply fill a hole that you never knew you needed filled. Friends at college share similar interests whether its a major, a club, or a sports team on campus. From move in day until now, I never knew I would meet such incredible people and make long lasting friendships in a few short months. But here I am, and as much as I miss my hometown friends, I already can’t wait for move in day sophomore year to reconnect with all of my college friends. 

As cliche as it sounds, I have learned more about myself in the past year than I have in all eighteen years combined. Although I still am struggling with what I want to do with my life, I have narrowed down a general area of study and have begun exploring the different career paths that I can take. Before coming to college I would never eat vegetables and I did not really like Mexican food. Being exposed to different restaurants and food on the meal plan, my diet has rapidly expanded and I have tried new things that I either hate or love! I miss the sports I used to play in high school and the activities I was involved in, but I have found so many more extracurriculars that I am passionate about, like Her Campus! I never knew how many clubs were available at a college until I was a student, and until I even started my own club. 

No matter where you end up, no matter who you become friends with or what you end up doing with your life, college may seem like the end of an era, but it truly is the beginning of the next chapter of your life. So go out, enjoy life, regardless of your emotions and opinions from your first week or even your first year, so much can change in such a short amount of time, and change is a good thing, as long as you let it be.

i write sometimes, check it out!
Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy