kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Summer in Milwaukee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Believe it or not, the snow in Milwaukee eventually melts and is followed by a summer filled with food, friends, and fun! From attending a wide variety of festivals to relaxing on the beach, there are events and activities for everyone to enjoy in the Midwest’s hidden gem of a city. There are so many ways to enjoy the weather here in southern Wisconsin, but keep reading for 10 of the best ways to spend the summer in Milwaukee.

1. Soak up the Sun

Surrounding by Lake Michigan, Milwaukee’s beaches are a perfect way to cool off during the heat of summer. Head on over to Lincoln Memorial Drive and spend the day at one of Milwaukee’s public beaches. Join a volleyball league, participate in yoga and cross fit classes, or rent a cabana at Bradford Beach. Spending the day with your family? Play on the playground, walk the sandy shoreline, or have a picnic at McKinley Beach. McKinley Beach also offers sailing lessons for the family at the Community Sailing Center.

2. Listen to Live Music

Home to the “World’s Largest Music Festival,” Milwaukee is no stranger to live music. Visit your favorite artist at Summerfest located at the Henry Maier Festival Park. Don’t want to deal with the crowds? Stop by Cathedral Square Park for Jazz in the Park every Thursday during the summer. In the Bay View neighborhood, Chill on the Hill is another awesome concert series that takes place every Tuesday night during the summer. No matter what kind of music you’re interested in, Milwaukee has plenty of options to appreciate.

3. Support the Brew Crew

Summer in Milwaukee wouldn’t be complete without going to a baseball game at Miller Park. The attractions at Miller Park go beyond baseball and include the Walk of Fame, Wall of Honor, The Selig Experience, and Johnson Controls Stadium. You can even ride down Bernie’s Slide, tour the ballpark, or visit Helfaer Field. Don’t forget to bring hot dogs, brats, and hamburgers to grill during a tailgate just outside of Miller Park with family and friends. Even though its not basketball season, check out some of the events going on at the Fiserv Forum, home to the Milwaukee Bucks or go across the street to the Panther Area to cheer on our professional soccer, hockey, and roller derby teams.

4. Have a Beer (or a Few)

It’s no surprise that Milwaukee residents love beer considering the name of our MLB team and there are plenty of ways to enjoy it downtown. Start by taking a tour of the Lakefront Brewery while getting a souvenir pint glass and four 6 oz pours of beer. Next, swing by one of the four permanent beer gardens in Milwaukee or catch the Traveling Beer Garden at one of its 12 stops from April to October. Work off those calories as you drink with Milwaukee Pedal Tavern. Tour the Third Ward and Walker’s Point area on a bicycle bar or float across the Milwaukee River with the Milwaukee Paddle Tavern. Who would’ve thought there’s so many fun ways to crack open a cold one?

5. Go to a Cultural Festival

Festival season is in full force during the summer in Milwaukee. Along with live music events, the city offers different fests to recognize a variety of cultures. In June, attend Polish Fest or discover Scottish culture at Milwaukee Highland Games. Swing by Basille Days, Festa Italiana, German Fest or the Milwaukee Dragon Boat Festival in July. Celebrate African American culture at Bronzeville Week in August or swing by Irish Fest and Mexican Fiesta. Learn about Milwaukee’s diversity at any of these cultural festivals while experiencing food, dance, crafts, history and so much more!

6. Shop at Local Markets

Outdoor markets are a great way to support local vendors while taking advantage of the nice weather. The Milwaukee Public Market is open all year round and brings a delicious abundance of fresh foods to the Third Ward. Head over to Brady Street for Sunday Fundays on select weekends during the summer for food, art, music and more! Looking for something a little different? Stroll down Wisconsin Ave for NEWaukee’s Night Market for an exciting array of local vendors, performers, and artists. From Sunday to Saturday, farmers markets occur almost every day in and around the Milwaukee area, check out the complete list here.

7. Hangout at the State Fair

Whether you are from Wisconsin or visiting, the State Fair is a family-friendly event that takes place during August in the nearby suburb of West Allis. See your favorite performances, animal attractions or demonstrations at one of the 30 free stages. Enjoy Wisconsin favorites like cheese curds or try blazin’ jalapeno deep-fried olives. Take a ride on the Sky Glider or visit the education exhibits. You can even register for different competitions. There are plenty of things to do, eat, and see at the Wisconsin State Fair!

8. Enjoy a Bite to Eat

Spending the summer in Milwaukee wouldn’t be complete without enjoying a bite to eat at some of the city’s best restaurants. From cheese curds to custard, we take meals very seriously here in Wisconsin. To experience all of the local favorites in one day, check out a Milwaukee Food Tour. Explore the best food and drinks in town on a walking or bus tour, while learning more about the area. From the Bloody Mary Brunch Tour to the Bikes, Brats & Beer Tour, there are options for every taste bud. Visiting around the holidays? You can even check out some of the holiday tours they have to offer.

Image by Peter Sesar via Wikipedia

9. Visit a Museum

Appreciate the art and history Milwaukee has to offer by visiting one of our impressive museums. Swing by the Milwaukee Art Museum for breathtaking exhibits and collection s. Learn more about the history of Milwaukee’s motorcycle company at the Harley-Davidson Museum. Walk the streets of Old Milwaukee or catch a planetarium show at the Milwaukee Public Museum. Interact with the science and technology center at Discovery World. These museums, along with many others, are the perfect way to spend a rainy day in Milwaukee!

10. Experience Wildlife

Last but not least, encounter wildlife like you never had before at one of Milwaukee’s wildlife attractions. Meet over 3,100 animals at the Milwaukee County Zoo. You can even have a sleepover with the animals during one of the Snooze at the Zoo events. Learn about the environment or participate in habitat restoration at one of the three Urban Ecology Centers. Witness plants and flowers from around the world at the Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory, also known as “The Domes.” Get some exercise while observing the city’s nature by renting a Bublr Bike and riding along park trails.

As you can see, Milwaukee has a ton of fun events and activities for the whole family to enjoy during the summer. This list doesn’t even come close to all of the possibilities. Whether you are a local resident or a tourist, make the most of the warm weather here in southern Wisconsin and experience some of the exciting things the city has to offer. Share your favorite Milwaukee summertime adventure with readers in the comment

i write sometimes, check it out!