A Spring Break Reflection: Los Angeles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

A Spring Break Reflection: Los Angeles

This year for Spring Break, I was fortunate enough to travel to Los Angeles, California with some friends. We flew out late Saturday night, and left early the following Saturday. Although it wasn’t necessarily the best weather for California, we made the best out of it and still managed to have an awesome time. Here are some of the fun places we visited and things we got to do in Los Angeles!

Sunday: Shopping in Woodland Hills

Because we stayed in Woodland Hills, and our first full day in California was rainy, we decided to check out the Topanga Mall. Needless to say, we spent a lot of money on all of the cute clothes we found at the mall that we couldn’t get in Wisconsin. From Urban Outfitters to Cotton On, the Topanga Mall had it all! There was even a Halo Top Creamery in the food court for all of the ice cream lovers out there like me. Although it wasn’t in the mall, our first day in California wouldn’t be complete without lunch at In-N-Out. It definitely was worth the hype, no offense to Culvers or Kopps!

Monday: Paradise Cove in Malibu

Regardless of the fact that it was only sixty degrees outside, we took advantage of one of the only clear days while we were there. We ventured out to Malibu and explored Paradise Cove. After walking along the beach, we had some awesome seafood at a nearby restaurant. What could be better than an awesome view and even better food? Plus, the half hour drive to Malibu was scenic as we ventured through the canyons and past Pepperdine University.

Tuesday: The Village in Woodland Hills

For some odd reason, the bad weather in Wisconsin followed us all the way to California. Day three was already another rainy day, but this time we decided to check out The Village in Woodland Hills. The Village is another shopping center near the Topanga Mall, but it has more of a boutique and unique feel. We got some ice cream at Afters, I would totally recommend milk and cereal, and then we did some more damage in all of the adorable shops.

Wednesday: The Grove in Beverly Hills

Finally on Wednesday the sun was shining, and we took the opportunity to check out the infamous shopping center called The Grove in Beverly Hills. We gave our wallets a break from shopping, and just walked around. There was even a market towards the end of The Grove that was filled with all kinds of foods and souvenirs. Before we left we made a pit stop at Ladurée and got some macaroons for the road. Unfortunately, we lost track of time and did not have the opportunity to check out Rodeo Drive, but we still had an awesome time at The Grove.

Thursday: Santa Monica Pier

Thursday was probably one of my favorite days and favorite tourist attraction. We traveled to the Santa Monica, explored Santa Monica, and got to watch the sunset on the beach. My friends were too scared to go on the ferris wheel, but the pier itself was a sight to see. It was not quite warm enough to swim in the ocean, but walking around downtown Santa Monica and hanging out on the pier was by far one of my favorite things to do on our trip.

Friday: Griffith Observatory

For our last day in California, we decided to be extra touristy and headed over to the Griffith Observatory. The observatory overlooked all of Los Angeles, the Hollywood sign, and even offered incredible planetarium shows. If it wasn’t chilly and cloudy, we also would have down the three hour hike to the Hollywood sign, but the Griffith Observatory was close enough for us. Looking over Los Angeles was a great way to end our trip and reflect on how much fun we had, (even if we were not looking forward to heading back to school!)

All in all, California was an amazing experience, and I’m glad I got to share it with some amazing friends. Whether you stayed at home or traveled somewhere tropical, spring break really is a great way to relax and take a break from the real world. I can’t wait to start planning next year’s spring break!

i write sometimes, check it out!
Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy