lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Six Roles Your Friend Will Play After a Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Nobody should have to go through something as rough as a breakup alone. Thankfully, your friends will be there to help in your time of need. As you will learn, they will have your back in more ways than one.

The Shoulder to Cry On

When a breakup is fresh, it can hurt like nothing else. It drains all your energy, making you feel like a lethargic blob of sadness. All you want to do is lie in bed and watch Netflix or just stare at the wall while listening to sad music. Even if you don’t feel like talking about it or doing much of anything, a good friend will be there just to make sure that you’re not alone. What’s better, they’ll probably bring ice cream too.

The One You Vent To

When you’re feeling a little better, you’ll probably start feeling ready to talk about the breakup. And chances are, you won’t be feeling sad anymore, you’ll be mad. Like really mad. When this happens, there’s no one better than a good friend to bash on your ex with, especially because they’re probably just as angry as you are.

The Distractor

When you’re getting over someone, it’s hard to think of anything else but them. Times like these are the best to gather up some friends and do anything and everything to help get your ex off your mind. Even if it’s something as simple as grocery shopping, spending time with the people you can always have fun with will be enough to help get your head in a better place.

The Voice of Reason

Even if you’re pretty convinced you’re moving on with your life, there will probably be a moment where you relapse and start missing your ex. You’ll start to think that maybe they weren’t that bad, or that maybe if you just talked things out you’d be able to make your relationship work. When this happens, your bestie will be the one to remind you that no, your ex is actually a huge jerk and that the breakup was for the best. Hopefully they will also be there to hold onto your phone when you get the inexplicable urge to text your ex at midnight. 

The Personal Cheerleader

I think it’s inevitable to question your self-worth after a breakup. The questions repeat over and over in your mind: did I do something wrong? Was it really my fault all along? Am I just not worthy of having a good partner? It’s a vicious cycle to get caught up in because it’s so hard to stop that downwards spiral of negativity. Thankfully, your friends will be there to pull you out and remind you how much you’re loved. They are the ones who have always been able to see the best in you, and they will not rest until you see it too.

The one to help you finally move on

Breakups are hard in so many different ways, and it can take a long time to heal after experiencing that kind of hurt. The absolute best thing I can recommend to help get you through is to rely on people that you love, which of course means your friends. They love you so much and just want to see you feeling like yourself again by whatever means necessary. What’s even better is that when all is said and done, you will be even closer to your friends, and you will love and appreciate them more than you ever thought possible. 

Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy