This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Many of us singletons daydream about finding a boyfriend on campus who can walk us to class, study in the library with us, eat in the awful dining halls with us, and share in all the campus experiences we may have. But what do you do if you find him right before the semester is over? You’ll be returning to your home states, which could be hours apart, for the summer. Here are a few ways you can handle this new spark:

1. Keep going with it! Just because you just started talking and you’re already going to be hours apart, doesn’t mean it’s impossible to keep up with the connection you had on campus. Phone calls, FaceTimes, and text messages can keep the two of you close as you spend the summer apart and look forward to seeing each other again in the fall.

1. End it. Long distance is a trying thing, even on seasoned relationships, and can make things difficult. Starting a relationship is tricky enough because you are just getting to know this person and long distance could potentially strain the great thing you’ve got going. If it’s fresh enough that you’re not too invested, this could potentially be the best move.

1. Make a pact to get back together in the fall. That connection you had may be one you want to hang onto, even if you don’t necessarily want to try to maintain it over summer. Even if you don’t talk all summer and don’t visit each other, that doesn’t mean you can’t rekindle that spark once the next semester rolls around.

Summer is busy! When we aren’t working we want to relax and have fun, because that’s what summer is for, right? Don’t let the strain of a new relationship turned long-distance ruin your few free summer months, but don’t yearn for the one you let get away. Follow your gut and don’t stress too much. These relationships are exciting! See where they take you.

Maisie Bentz

Marquette '18

I don't care if I'm a fish, I still want a bicycle.
Prefer to consume my calories in liquid form. Living in the land of beer and cheese. Dreamer. Explorer. Wanderer.